newbie help!!

Do you have questions about the basics of turtle care?
donna320
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:24 am

I just got 2 red sliders from my dsughter who won them at a carnival. I have them in a 2 gallon tank with 2 inches of water and a large rock for basking. Should tge water be deep enough for them to swim, or should they be able to stand in it and the level comes just under their heads.
I do not have a heater in the tank, and they really aren't eating.
I had them as a kid and they always died :(
I have not noticed them on the rock at all, they stay in the water all day. Is this normal? I would appreciate any replies by email.
I am feeding them blood worms and shrimp (dried) I read somewhere, I need to take the turtle out to feed in in a seperate container.Should this feeding container have water in it, how deep should it be?
Thanks
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:08 pm

They will need a much bigger tank. The water should be deep enough so that the turtle can flip itself over if it happens to land on its back. You can check out the website and other posts for more details on what you need to properly care for them. Its a lot of work but worth it in the end.
donna320
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:28 am

I have been reading about feeding. Most say take the turtles out of their tank and feed in another. Do I put them in shallow water to feed them? If their tank is a 10 gallon, should I fill it half way with a dock above the water so they can get out?
I ordered a tank, fliter, heater. What kind of light should I get?
Sorry for all the questions :wink:
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:05 pm

You can put your turtles in a separate container with water enough so that your turtle can flip over on its own, I think that about 5 inches of water should be enough if it is a baby, more if it is bigger.

RES are very good swimmers so the more water you can put in the tank, the better, just make sure there is enough space from the surface that the turtle can't climb out of the tank.

You should have a basking light and a UVA/UVB light.

Here is a list of the turtle necessities:
  • Information