How long can a painted turtle go without water?

Do you have questions about the basics of turtle care?
Mikey
Level 1
Level 1

We found a painted turtle in a pit next to our house. It's an egress window that is very deep. There is no water in there but since we found it we have been running the hose in there sometimes. I just wonder how long a painted turtle can go without water. I wonder how long it's been living in there. We took it out of there tonight and put it on the ground and it ran back into the pit and down into it again. It seems to want to be in there. It must have been living on bugs in there. There are usually a lot of bugs in there. Could it continue to live like that or should we bring it to a pond or take it in or something? We could bring it food out there but is just putting some water in there each day so it gets muddy and wet enough?
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, Personaly I would take the turtle out, since it can't get out on his own. If you don't plan on keeping it than, I would take it to a pond and let it go, It can't servive with out water, it has to be in water to eat, Is there a pond near by? This may sound weired but I have watched my turtles do this many times When one of my turtles decides to go on a trip, they fallow the same path back home, I watched one turtle for a week, she would exit the pond go under my patio table, around one leg on a chair, cut across and go under a differnt chair then back out where she started and head out to where ever, she would do the same thing on her return trip, only backwards. any way maybe the pit is in her path try putting it on the other side of the pit. Hey you never know...But it must have water....Good luck and let us know what happens
Mikey
Level 1
Level 1

There is a pond close to our house but it's pretty small and there are lots of mean geese there. I worry it will get hurt. We also have a river close but is the current bad? It's quite a strong current in the river.
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

I got some of my western painted turtles out of the Columbia river in washington state
Mikey
Level 1
Level 1

Well we just brought it to the pond. We don't have an aquarium and who knows how long it's gone without food being in our pit like that. We put it about 3 feet away from the water and it still looked scared and then I set it right next to the water and it looked all happy and came out of it's shell and ran into the water and swam down til I could not see it anymore. It should be ok I am sure there are geese in every pond. It's actually a pretty big pond now that I looked at it again.
turtledude123
Level 2
Level 2

my baby turtle lasted about 2 days without water or food but its not a red eared. its some other type of slider....
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i suppose that all semi-aquatics act in the same way..the turtle was getting back to the pit bcz it's dark and they like dark places (maybe they feel safer in there)..anyways i hope the turtle is doing fine now
centex
Level 2
Level 2

I wouldn't worry about the mean geese....they might want to steer clear of the turtle actually!!! I have seen ducks with missing feet due too RES chomping on them! He'll be alright..trust me.
:o

John
  • Information