do leatherbacks make noise?

Discussions about sea turtles.
johanneke

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:14 pm

hello,

can anyone tell me what kind of noises leatherback turtles make? what does it sound like, and when do they make that noise?

thank you!

johanneke
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:05 pm

i don't know about leatherbacks in particular but turtles do make noises. i believe that much higher noise will come out from sea turtles since they're huger

edit: i couldn't find anything about that but i have to admit that they are interesting species :D
AffiDilia

Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 am

they may make noise that underwater dwellers and fellow turtles hear b/c all species communicate.althoguh i never met a leatherback i love them dearly and believe they are the most beautiful animla on earth( i even have a tattoo of a leatherback! :P )
lionmiass1958

Thu May 18, 2006 5:17 pm

:oops: I don't know much about leatherbacks, so I never even knew they could make sounds... :oops:
IBM Research [Bot]

Mon May 22, 2006 12:11 am

they only make noise when they are dieing

[img]http://big_game.at.infoseek.co.jp/turtle/turtle1.jpg[/img] :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
vncweygbo

Mon May 22, 2006 11:57 am

JJock, that is a very sad pic, isn't it? :cry: Where do you find them? In some kind of archives? It looks like it's an old one, or is it just that it's black and white?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon May 22, 2006 12:06 pm

yeah this is sad :!:
Dvesqxtxk

Mon May 22, 2006 6:26 pm

is there really turtles that big?!?!
IBM Research [Bot]

Tue May 23, 2006 12:59 pm

The Leatherback Sea Turtle (Dermochelys coriacea) is the biggest of all turtles alive, reaching a length of 2 m (6.5 ft) and weight of 600 kg (1,500 lb). The Leatherback Sea Turtle is found in all tropic and subtropic oceans. It is the only extant species in the genus Dermochelys and the family Dermochelyidae. This species has many unique features that distinguish it greatly from other sea turtles. Its shell lacks the bony scutes of other turtles, comprising mainly connective tissue. Its metabolic rate is about 3 times higher than one would expect for a reptile of its size; this, coupled with counter-current heat exchangers and large size, allow it to maintain a body temperature as much as 18 °C above that of the surrounding water. Some scientists hypothesize that the leatherback might have some capacity to generate its own body heat (like a mammal), although reptiles in general have been defined as ectotherms ("cold-blooded") and are thought not to be able to do so.

The world's biggest recorded Leatherback was washed ashore on Harlech beach, Gwynedd, in September 1988. It had drowned in fishing nets. It was one of the oldest recorded turtles, measuring almost nine feet (2.74 metres) in length and weighing 914 kg (2015 lb). Although popular media reported the turtle as 100 years old, aging techniques remain uncertain in leatherbacks. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
TaviaMesse

Thu May 25, 2006 8:15 pm

where do u get that stuff
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri May 26, 2006 7:07 am

turtles1 wrote:is there really turtles that big?!?!
yeah sea turtles..google them up and u'll find amazing stuff about them. it's another world!
Dvesqxtxk

Fri May 26, 2006 11:47 am

i thought that was like prehistoric size.lol. but i never knew they got that big. do they come up on beaches and lay their eggs where ppl can take pictures of thm? or do they go to distant islands?
  • Information