HELPP!!! MY RED EARED SLIDER DISAPPEARED FROM MY KIDDIE PO

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
CleatTareegug

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:33 am

I am sooo heartbroken, every morning I put my 2 pet red eared sliders in the kiddie pool for a nice swim and exercise. However, one turtle, named Michelangelo, has a bad habit of always escaping from the pool and I always found him in my fenced backyard . He's a fast crawler and little devil. This morning I put them in the pool, went in the house for 5 minutes, went back outside, and michelangelo simply vanished from the pool! My daughter and I searched the backyard very thoroughly and he's nowhere to be seen.

Iwonder if it's possible that squirrels might have taken him away? Michelangelo is 2 years old, and grew to be 5 inches wide , 6 inches long , and is quite heavy, almost a pound. Can cats hurt them? Please give me some advice or hints on how I can find him. How about birds, can they pick up turtles?

Mary Ellen :cry:
Urbanoidstav1961

Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:52 pm

omg that sad is it!hmm...squirells wont do nothing to turtl and yes cats can hurt turtles.and dogs too.i dont know aboutt he birds...i heard turtles can burried them selves.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:52 pm

i'm so sorry but i hope u'll find him soon. do cats and dogs get into ur yard? i don't expect birds to take him away..did u check if he was digging around?
CleatTareegug

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:56 pm

My husband, children, and the neighborhood scoured the neighborhood bushes and every where looking for my dear red eared slider. Still not found.

The only thing we could think of is, michelangelo, must have crawled FAST (always did ) and went undr the side fence, into the front yard, and I think that someone must have saw him and picked him up to take to their own home. There's no other way that he could vanish that quickly.

MY QUESTION'; HOW LONG CAN AN AQUATIC TURTLE SURVIVE WITHOUT BEING IN THE WATER??

We're still searching. and praying. This one is so special, he is so unusual with a bold personality....
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:37 pm

I would think that they can go up to a week without any water, but I don't have any references to that, also, they will most likely head for the nearest water source if they need it. Good luck finding your turtle.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:57 am

i don't know exactly but my reading said 2 days without water and a bit more if it's a moist place..

i hope u find michelangelo soon and since he's relatively a big boy (i mean can be recognized easily), yeah someone might've picked him up. did u ask around or post notes?
CleatTareegug

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:33 pm

I'm still looking for Michelangelo. I really miss him. Im angry at myself for leaving my turtles in kiddie pool just for a few minutes to run in the house. Also posted flyers on telephone poles, supermarkets, petstores, etc.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:11 am

i deeply wish u good luck in finding him. it's not easy i know, i lost my mind when my turtle escaped from the tank although i was 100% positive there's no way for her to get out of the house.

good luck, keep us posted
Urbanoidstav1961

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:51 pm

plus put some posters around your huseing block just in case hat someone pick it up.
CleatTareegug

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:49 am

hELLO FRIENDS,

Great news!!! At about 4:30 pm today I was in the house doing some errands, and I suddenly had this impulse to go out in the yard and search for the 200th time . I walked directly to behind the shed, and to my shock , there he was, crawling frantically in the alleyway between shed and fence trying to get out. I searched this same area 200 times and he WAS NOT THERE. I screamed with joy and scooped him up and immediately brought him into the house and back into his turtle tank . He was stunned and covered with a lot of dirt. He just came out of nowhere! I believe that he somehow got beneath the shed and couldnt' find his way out. He was missing for 5 days, 5 nights, since Friday morning 8 am Aug 4th. Today is Aug 8th Tuesday night. He's glad to be back in his tank with his playmate, and he is a bit weak but quickly gaining strength. I fed him lots of shrimp and he eats nonstop! I am so thankful to have him back and I feel like Im on cloud nine!! I prayed so hard! Thanks to all of you who cared enough to post to give me support and concerns.
suippefrepunk

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:30 am

that is good news :D I saw mine climb out the pond yesterday, it's amazing how good they are at climbing :o
Urbanoidstav1961

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:50 am

omg that good!!!!!hope it neevr happend again(it happen to me my brother left my large turtle that 8 inches that a male and his name was lary and and it walk somewhere in the back yard and me and my brother looked EVERYWHERE under the plants the drass and other areas.but this was about from 2003 and i was very scared cuz i though he cold dei with out water!)so i know how it feel that you lost someone like your turtle but i never found my turtle...i still miss him.
Dvesqxtxk

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:16 pm

i also recently lost my 3 inch res aug 6 and its the 16 i think he died... what do u guys think?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:18 am

i don't know how i missed that post but this is GREAT NEWS WOOOOHOOOO, lol. am so so glad u found the little devil. keep an eye on him. he should've learned something from that escape :)
suippefrepunk

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:00 am

turtles1 wrote:i also recently lost my 3 inch res aug 6 and its the 16 i think he died... what do u guys think?
Sorry to hear of your loss, but keep looking the one in this post turned up eventually!
renaimburgia472

Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:57 am

omg, its good that you found your turtle!!!!
Last edited by renaimburgia472 on Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CleatTareegug

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi friends.

Just a little follow up on my little devil, Michelangelo who "escaped" from his kiddie pool on August 4th and was found 5 days later on Aug 8th behind the shed out of nowhere. He is doing very nicely and eating like a pig! I'm very happy and relieved to have him back. From now on I will keep an eye on him in the kiddie pool so he doesn't do his escapes again!

Hugs, Mary Ellen :D
turtle_grl77

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:05 pm

Woohoo for safe returns!
flarkin

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:16 am

So glad that you found your turtle a few weeks ago after he escaped your kiddie pool. For all the turtle owners out there, please be aware birds do go after turtles so never leave them alone if they're not in an enclosed area.
Tammymi105

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:49 pm

I don't think birds would hurt him, but if you live near the water (lagoon, creek, etc) I would watch out for seagulls. I live in a lagoon and I've seen them pick up clams and drop them to break the shells and get the meat. Good Luck and hope you find him.
CleatTareegug

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:37 pm

My goodness! Thankfully, I don't live near a creek or a water, but live 8 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. Seagulls do come to my area. Im glad you gave this information about them dropping clams to break their shells . OUCH! imagine this happening to a turtle. Thanks for letting me know, That was certainly an eye opener!

Mary Ellen :D
CleatTareegug

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:52 pm

Hi friends, here's a picture of my little devil who escaped on Aug 4th but found alive 5 days later : Please let me know if you can see his picture.

OrespreerEDop

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:29 pm

What a nice turtle! Hee, he knows how to pose :lol:
flarkin

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:16 am

The picture of your adorable "HOUDINI TURT" is very clear! He looks very happy.
We have all learned a lesson from your Michelangelo & will keep a watchful eye on our "turts".
Thanks for sharing.
vncweygbo

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:14 pm

Great pic!! He looks mischevious!! So glad to hear he's home and doing so well!!! :lol:
hoover05

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:43 pm

Sooo glad you found him and that he's doing well!

I put my turt in a kiddie pool to bath in the sun. The only animals out there that I have to worry about are squirrels :lol:

You can try putting like chicken wire or something like that overtop of it so they (hopefully) can't get out and no animals can get in. Than they can still get sun, too :)

Good luck!
Dvesqxtxk

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:45 pm

i lost my 3 inch res on aug 6 and havent sen him since and i think hes dead but i still ahve 2 little ybs's and an eastern boxie. left him in a bucket for 10 min and never seen him since :x :(
dypeincettery

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:23 pm

Great story turtle lady
  • Information