How much is too much?

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
bbsketcwff

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:35 am

My turtle, Maeryn, has been eating up to 7 turtle sticks at one time(say, breakfast), and still wanting more!! How much is too much? Should I start feeding her more often, or switch to something different for food? Right now I'm using Wardley Premium Sticks w/ more calcium. Do I need to switch to something different? Or is this because she's a baby and I need to continue feeding her more? :roll:

Thx for your help in advance!!
Nickie
rertjwi

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:06 pm

about what size is she :?:
bbsketcwff

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:38 pm

1 5/8" as of 6/24, I need to measure her this month.
rertjwi

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:16 pm

I would say three a day thats all that I feed my turtles and they are hatchlings :lol:
suippefrepunk

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:25 pm

well if she's a baby Id say feed her what she'll eat as long as she doesn't get fat, but my babies did get huge between 4 and 6" at one year old! :o
turtleman1

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:57 pm

i have a question for u. do u have a creek around? if so feed her 3 sticks and a minner a day (mack sure there small enough for here if so get a minner trap but white bread in it and put it in water deep enough to get over it and if not u can get them at bait stores.(finnaly fishing has paid off lol
bbsketcwff

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:00 pm

turtleman1 wrote:i have a question for u. do u have a creek around? if so feed her 3 sticks and a minner a day (mack sure there small enough for here if so get a minner trap but white bread in it and put it in water deep enough to get over it and if not u can get them at bait stores.(finnaly fishing has paid off lol
No, I don't have a creek near me, I got her in Arkansas (she's a wild one:D). That was one of my questions, how old do they have to be before they can eat minnows? I'll have to go buy some next time I'm out and around...I gotta go buy a heater pretty quick too, mine broke :?

Thx for your help!!!!!
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi Mama,

I just saw that your turtle is wild. It is my oppinion and the oppinions of many others that it is cruel to keep wild turtles as pets...here's why.

They are used to swimming in large lakes streams. Put them in a 20 gallon tank and they are extremely stressed out.

They are used to eating insects and small fish. Feed them Turtle Sticks and they get extremely stressed out.

They are used to basking under the sun all day, the greatest thing for a reptile. Stick them in a small tank with a little light bulb, their health starts to go downhill.

They have strong instincts to be afraid of humans. Keep them cooped up with humans all day bothering them, tryong to hold them down, it is very obviously they will be stressed and not happy.

When you have a wild caught turtle as a pet you have a very unhapy stressed turtle, no matter how cute or happy you think he is, he's not. Think of how you would feel in his position.

Please don't think I'm some psycho turtle rights activist- I'm not. I just care for turtles that could have such a better life than what any human can give it.

Read my article in the General Chat on Keeping WC turtles as pets:
http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/viewtopic.php?t=7279

You can buy an awesome, Captive Bred Turtle for less then $10 shipped online from a reputable breeder who dedicate their lives to turtles. You will have a happy, healthy turtle for years and years.

Please think of what I've said and let that turtle go, it would make it so much happier than anything you could do for it. Thanks a lot,
Willie
turtleman1

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:19 pm

thats were the minners come in handyalso u can try to get small female crawdads (they dont have pinchers)
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:33 pm

Feeding a turtle minners, (whatever minners truely are) and crayfish will not do anything to help the turtle, turtleman1. Make sure you know what you're talking about before trying to help people on here.
cpmbdomlio

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:50 am

how can you tell if your turtle is fat anyways?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:58 am

turtleman1, fish should be given as treats only (no more than once or max twice a week).

lilpizi, flip the turtle and look at its feet holes. if u see flesh coming out all the time not only when breathing then ur turtle is overweight and needs to be put on diet.

MaerynMama217, how many times per day do u feed her? cut that amount down and introduce her to veggies like carrots and romaine lettuce. that way u'll be on the safe side of not getting her fat.
bbsketcwff

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:58 pm

^^I only feed her 3-4 times a day(breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack if she's really starving; one time she was so hungry she was trying to eat the rock :o (They're WAY to big for her to swallow, so we're safe there :) ))
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:16 pm

7 pieces 3-4 times a day? sounds like too much for a small turtle. oh one thing to note here, when u pass by the tank she goes begging right? she does so cz she recognizes u it's not always that she wants u to feed her :) and eating rocks is out of curiousity more than being hungry. she'll be ok just cut the amounts down into something like 3 pieces twice a day and keep a floating leaf of romaine in there so she can nibble on if she feels hungry.
bbsketcwff

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:19 pm

She'll only start begging when she sees the food(yes, she recognizes the box), then she sticks her head outta the water and swims in circles :lol: . She reminds me of a dog getting a treat. Okay, so, stick a piece of lettuce in there and only 3 pieces of food 2x a day......thanks!!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:23 pm

cz they're born with the instinct of "eat as much as u can cz u never know when will the next time be" :)
turtleman1

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:08 pm

WILLIE:I try to keep my turtle on an all natural diet like it whould have in the wild. you dont know what a minner is?
vncweygbo

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:50 am

I don't know what a minner is either, do you mind explaining? :wink:
rertjwi

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:19 pm

I think you are talking about minows they are small coman fish you can catch them at pounds
vncweygbo

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:24 pm

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up, BrianJ! :P
turtleman1

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:02 pm

minnows/minners are the same thing and they arnt small as they get older they get bigger and are called chubs wich are pretty kl to fish for theyre is also a type of them called horney heads which have small horns on there head
turtleman1

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:03 pm

minnows/minners are the same thing and they arnt small as they get older they get bigger and are called chubs wich are pretty kl to fish for theyre is also a type of them called horney heads which have small horns on there head
bbsketcwff

Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:52 pm

dixieee wrote:cz they're born with the instinct of "eat as much as u can cz u never know when will the next time be" :)
Lol!!!

She's not liking the lettuce (at all!!!!), and she's not caring for the carrots either. I've been slowly cutting her back and she seem to be doing fine(although she was nibbling on the thermo earlier today:P). Are there any trick to get her to like the lettuce and carrots? Or is there something to the equivalent?!?!?!?!?

Thanks!
Nickie
centex
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:56 pm

:? :? :? OK...I'm going to stay out of this one!!!! :D :D :D :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:51 am

Are there any trick to get her to like the lettuce and carrots? Or is there something to the equivalent?!?!?!?!?

Thanks!
Nickie
give the "tuna-lettuce sandwich" or "lettuce-tuna dips" a try :wink: [/quote]
bbsketcwff

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:32 pm

^^The what?!?!?!?!?!?!?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:33 am

wrap tuna in lettuce or soak the leaves in tuna water..
bbsketcwff

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:32 pm

I tried that and she's still not eating them :?:
deesygirl

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:43 pm

centex wrote::? :? :? OK...I'm going to stay out of this one!!!! :D :D :D :D
I just think it is a hoot.
centex
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:05 am

LOL! :lol: