Fish Cloudy Water Stuff Okay For RESs?

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
kab134
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:45 pm

For some reason my tanks water is always cloudy. I bought the tank and the filter together in a set. I have no gravel on the bottom. I have some fake plants and a floating rock. I changed (almost all) the water on Monday. I constantly fish out poop with a net. I ususally feed them out of the tank. I cleaned the filter. It's worse than it was before I cleaned it. I know they have stuff you can put in fish tanks to make the water clear. I've used it before (on a fish tank) and it works. Is this safe to put this in with RESs? It looks terrible and I'm at my wits end!!
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:48 pm

if u got the filter with the tank as a kit,the problem it's probably from ur filter..usually filter are made for fish and since turtles are way more messy u should use at least a filter made for 3 time the size of ur tank.(for example if u have a 10gallon,u should use a filter good for 30 gallon and UP)
look at ur papers(from the tank),they probably say for what size of tank ur filter is good for...
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:54 pm

How big is the tank? What size tank is the filter rated for? You should have one the capacity that yaya mentioned.

What kind of filter is are you using? If you have a large tank and an adequate size filter that allows for bio-media, it's possible that the tank needs to cycle (and partial water changes would help). If, however, the filter is too small for the tank, it will not keep up with the amount of waste being produced and the water will become murky quickly.
  • Information