Shells are getting soft

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:16 pm

Ok i got a UV light that says it good for aquatic plants and animal so i assume it work for turtles now i pick him up today out the water to clean his tank on bottom his shell it getting soft and the top not much but on side it soft i put the UV light directly on him in his tupperwear bowl while i clean his tank i am planning to cut the glass screen so the UV light can get through my question is now.... Is there anything i can buy at pet store that help his shells? or anything i think i saw somthing at wal mart i could've got if i knew this much sooner he now laying on the rock underneath the UV light that direct on him nothing blocking the light i am now going to go work on the tank then try to cut the glass out the way so i can get him some direct light..and i hope i have the right kinda light..i got the light at lowes it says it UVB on it and it says it good for aquatic life animal and planet.

Am i doing the right thing i am going to leave him where he is for while maybe take him outside to get some real sunshine but he sleepin more offen and stuff. i kinda starting to get worry i need to make him better and healthier. any suggestion?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:03 pm

if u can expose him to direct sunlight it'll be much better..there are calcium blocks that u can get for him..they come in a turtle shape and the turtles can eat them too..keep an eye on him and watch for any symptoms..good luck and keep us posted
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:16 pm

Sorry about this post i sorta made another one in the first aid. i keep you post on the one in the first aid forum.
Mystical
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:42 pm

:) HI,
You do need to put a screen top enstead of glass. Your UV light does not go through glass and also your turtles are not geting enough light.Take them out side in sun for two to three hours. Also if they spend too much time in the water and not enough on land they can get shell rot of soft shell too.
See if this helps you.
gardan69
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:51 pm

I have a YBS, a little bigger than a silver dollar. He was fine when we found him, but he started what we think is shedding. Now his shell around the edges is very soft and on the middle in the top, somewhat soft as well. He's in a pond that's outside and he has plenty of direct sunlight with a "turtle board" so he can get all the way out of the water and bask. We've seen him basking on his board before, legs and neck stretched out. Our little RES (a little bigger than a quarter) is doing fine in the pond. What could be causing this soft shell? We're worried about Yogi (found him at Jellystone Park, hence the name).
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:12 pm

Posisble not recieveing enought calicum?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:28 am

is everything else normal with Yogi? any other signs of swollen eyes for example??
gardan69
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:47 am

Everything is LOOKS normal, I'll have to check his eyes and such when I get home tonight. He acts normal and eats well. In fact, I think he eats more than Double D, his smaller pond mate. Where does their calcium come from? I feed them reptile sticks, should I maybe incorporate some kind of fruit or vege higher in calcium (if there are any)? Any suggestions?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:10 am

there are turtle-shaped calcium blocks u can find at pet stores..u keep that in the tank and the turtles will eat it (in most cases) otherwise i think it will dissolve and still benefit the turtle..
another option is the cuttlebone they sell for birds, i don't know what does it look like but i know u have to remove (peel) the outer part of it and then cut it into small pieces so the turtle is able to eat it

yet, if ur turtles is acting fine and u don't notice any other signs of illness (hopefully) then u don't have to worry much..especially that he is eating, this is good..they also say that hatchlings tend to have a softshell that hardens as they grow older so that also might be the case

anyways good luck and keep us posted..i hope the little guy is ok
gardan69
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:33 pm

I don't believe it's a soft shell due to a young age. My RES is much younger and his shell is rock hard. Could it have anything to do with his shedding cycle? He's not shedding much, only a few little squares. We haven't noticed him basking as much lately, so we put him in the sun for an hour at a time a few times a day, we're going to see if that helps Yogi.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:50 pm

maybe it's bcz he's not basking enough, possible..but still u can't compare ur turtles to each other, there are no rules for growing patterns or anything else :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:02 pm

I would increase the amount of calcium in the diet, but not with those turtle blocks. There are different types of calcium, and the kind in the turtle blocks is not one that turtles can assimilate readily. Try leafy greens like dandelions, kale, collards, etc. Also keeping pieces of cuttlebone in the water for him to nibble on may help. You could also get some powder calcium supplement (without phosphorus), moisten the sticks and coat them with the powder (put in a bag and shake) and feed them after they've dried and the powder is sticking to them.
gardan69
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:03 am

We're going to try a few hours in the sun each day in 1 hour increments plus trying to give him snacks with more calcium. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me figure Little Yogi out. When I came home from work last night, he was "basking", but the sun wasn't shining directly on him, but at least he was on his basking board.
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Wow my RES only gets like 2-3 hours of sun UV a week and we've had no problems he lives int he water 24/7 with just a rock to sit on if he wants. It's so strange how some turtles re act and some don't to calicum sun light etc.
  • Information