proude new red ear slider owner

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
liveamovielife

Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:32 pm

Hey everyone. A friend of mine just gave me a red ear slider that is only about and inch and a half big tops. She said the turtle was diagnosed with a stunted growth and hasnt grown in the year and a half she has had it. I currently created a neat little habitat for it in a fountain I have and the lady at the pet store said it should be alright. Many people online however recommend extremely large tanks for the size of the turtle and different lights. The turtle seems quite content in its current housing and I believe the girl's brother took poor care of it in a larger tank. Any suggestions? Is the current situation ok?
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:10 am

They say 10 gallons of water per inch of turtle. So 15 gallons would be the minimum, but the bigger the better. As for living in the fountain, the turtle should be alright as long as you have proper lighting (basking and UVA/B), filtration, heating, a basking spot and other basic stuff. If the fountain is outside, you'd need a place for the turtles to get out of the sun and something to prevent predators from getting at the turtle. Good luck with the turtle!!!!!! :lol:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:25 am

yep these are the basics..so is the turtle eating? is it scared??

welcome to the board and good luck with ur new guy :)
liveamovielife

Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:59 am

I cant tell if hes eating? Maybe I fed him too much because there is some food floating around. Hes just a tiny guy and has been tiny for about a year with no growth at all. Not more than an inch and a half big. The girl told me he would never bask, but Ive been helping him and placing him on the rock. He chills for about a minute while I watch him, then he darts off the rock and into his shell as sort of a cannonball maneuver. I love this little guy so much and really want him to be happy. Think he is doing alright?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:58 pm

give him some time and if u have to then force him to bask..take him outside in something big and dry where he can move and bask under the sun for a couple of hours, it'll help a lot too..watch him cz u have to know if he's eating or not..most probably he isn't bcz new turtles are scared to eat especially that this little guy was almost abused b4..try the tuna fish trick..it's smelly and can get his attention easily..i can guarantee it 85% cz it worked with 2 out of my 3 turtles :)

good luck and keep us posted
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:18 pm

Welcome to the board liveamovielife, I hope you like it here, you said that the turtle was poorly taken care of before you got it, I believe that with the proper care it could gain back some of its size, is the fountain outside or inside, like toxicangel said, if it is outside you need to provide shade so that it can get out of the sun and also a basking platform. The sun is the best source of UV light than anything you can find on the market, so that is one less thing you would have to get.

Good luck with your turtle and keep us informed about how your turtle is adjusting to his new surroundings. :D
liveamovielife

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:37 am

Thank you everyone for all of your help! I am going to try the tuna fish trick tommorow and see how i make out. I am also going to work on getting a bigger tank to keep Puck in. I will keep you all posted on his progress and health. Thank you guys for being so available!!!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:17 am

anytime :) waiting ur feedback
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:05 am

You're welcome, whenever you have a question don't hesitate to ask, there is alot of people around here that may have the answer.
  • Information