Hard time eating...

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:03 pm

I have a RES that I got from my sisters' teacher; She was a class pet, so she didn't get the best of care. She's about inches long. She has a really hard time eating the turtle pellets no matter how small I can break them up. Mostly all she's been eating is fish flakes, but she can't live long on those. Also, her shell is getting REALLY soft. I'm afraid she's dying... :( It's almost like she can't open her mouth wide enough. Sorry I can't get pictures. Any ideas? My family is going up to D.C. this weekend and the neighbor-girl is coming over to care of the rest of the pets. Do you think I should take Tina? Sorry this is soooo long, but I'm really worried. Thanks for any help...
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:20 pm

I am sorry I missed this post, you could try pre-soaking the pellets so that the turtle doesn't have to put too much effort into chewing the pellet, but I would recommend only soaking as much as you are going to use, if you leave the soaked pellets in the fridge for too long, they will grow fur, if you know what I mean, after all, it is cold in there. :lol: :lol:
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:38 pm

This sounds like metabolic bone disease (soft shell disease), which is painful for the turtle and fatal if living conditions and diet are not corrected. Read http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/mbd.html for what you can do. If at all possible, take your turtle to a reptile vet.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:05 pm

i wonder how i missed that too..how is the turtle doing now?
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:12 pm

This is the first time I've been on a computer in like a week, because I've been in D.C. and now I'm in Ohio. The girl who's feeding my babies says they all have been eating. But I haven't seen them. We're leaving tomorrow so I'll see her then. I'll let you guys know how she's doing. :? She's not in pain, because she's swimming around fine. Thanks though mariza. She's got all the proper requirements, it's that it seems like she can't open up her mouth wide enough...
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:05 pm

Ok; I'm back. I cleaned the tank I think the day before I left, and when I got back it was disgusting! So that's what I'm doing today... Everybody is fine, but Tina's shell is pretty soft. There's no way my mom would take her to the vet, so that's out of the question. Poor Tina.
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:29 pm

i've heard if turtle are at hatching sizes there shells tend to be soft. so you need to give him more UVB source and more calicum for it to harden on it own as he grow. :D
  • Information