Cloudy Water

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
RES
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:20 pm

I need help with this. I use a Fluval 4 Plus (submersible) for my 75-gal tank with about 45-gal of (bottled) water. The filters are not changed with water changes. They are "clean" & I have 1 carbon filter pad placed in between the 2 foam pads. Still the water is cloudy. I test the water frequently & they're within range, inlcuding ammonia levels. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. My Hercules would appreciate it too. 8)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:19 pm

See my other post. Get a better filter. :P Your tank could need to cycle as well. Take a look at http://honors.montana.edu/~weif/firstta ... ater.phtml

This will hold true with a more powderful filter as well.
evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:54 pm

Mine will sometimes get cloudy after a water change, I think it is just my water because it will clear up in a day.
RES
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:21 pm

FIGURED IT OUT!!! :idea: We have a good idea as to why the water is cloudy. When we did a full tank change, we cleaned the entire tank & scrubbed the bottom. :!: By doing that, we scrubbed out all the beneficial bacteria. :oops: Not very smart, huh? It just hit me!! Ok, with that said, how do I rebuild the ecosystem we destroyed??
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:34 pm

Very good, RES. :) The beneficial bacteria will colonize over time or you could jump start them with a product like Cycle.

When you do a complete water change, rinse any sponges that go in the filter in the tank water to help preserve the beneficial bacteria. (Also do this for any bio-media when you get that canister).
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:09 pm

that's so horrible when that happens.. i really love bacteria.. lol.

my turtle's water is cloudy right now too.. but that's because they're taking more dumps then my filter can cycle :(
RES
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:03 pm

Yeah, beneficial bacteria is called beneficial bacteria for a good reason! My turtle doesn't seem unhappy, but I think he would like it if it was clear so he can see me smiling at him! :roll:
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:31 pm

After my water changes i use clear water stuff, it works it take couple hours for effect but it works.
Mystical
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:57 pm

Ummm I did not know you cant dump all the water out of the tank. I thought buy cleaning out there tank it meens all the water. Ive had fish befor and to me it sounds you treat them the same way you clean fish? My turtles are not yet big I have them in a plastic cridder tank.I was going to put them in a tank or mybe pound when they get biger,I dont know how long that would be or how fast they grow. So am I hurting them buy dunking out there water its only five cups full. There only the size of a nickle right now :?:
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:00 pm

The principle of bio-filtration is the same for turtle tanks as it is for fish tanks, and makes their care easier.

You're doing your turts no favors by keeping them in a critter tank. Giving them good living conditions will help insure that they're healthy and live a longer life.
Mystical
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:24 pm

Even thoe there that small I should keep them in a big tank? Do they really need that much room? I thought they had to be bigger befor they go into something that big. Right now there in a large critter its a bout a size of a five gal. tank.
  • Information