Dry "skin"???

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 10:35 am

Can turtles get dry "skin"? I didn't notice anything until this morning, but it looks like he has a dry shell. Is there anything I can do about this? Also he has been basking ALOT today.. but he will still come the water for some food (when I feed him). Is there anything wrong or am I just parranoid??!! :cry: :?

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri May 27, 2005 10:57 am

what is this white stuff? or is it from the flash??
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 10:59 am

Thats what I'm wondering.. I was hoping it was "dry skin" :cry:

the big white spot right in the middle is the flash, but all that suff around it is not..
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri May 27, 2005 11:04 am

did it come all of a sudden today?? did u try washing it off?
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 11:12 am

Yea I think so.. it wasnt on any of the other pics that I posted of her just yesterday!!!!!! I tried to use a soft bristle toothbrush and some of it came off, but I stopped because I didn;t know if I was hurting her or not :cry: :cry: :cry:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri May 27, 2005 11:17 am

hmmm it shouldn't be hurting her so try to remove it with the soft toothbrush..i don't know what else could it be bcz nothing should come up that fast whatever it was (shedding, shellrot, mineral deposits...) :o
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 11:21 am

Ok I'm going to try.. Also, I am going to change her water again ( I just did it the other day but maybe I didn't do good enough or added too much of something!! I feel so bad! I can see it on her face and feet too (not much, just a tad)
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri May 27, 2005 12:22 pm

It looks like mineral deposits on the scutes (not skin) to me. Put a little white vinegar on a q-tip and gently rub a whitened area. Does it come off? If so, it's mineral deposits. If you use a brush, use a soft one and be gentle. What do you add to the water?
Last edited by mariza on Fri May 27, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri May 27, 2005 12:23 pm

If it does come off, it is more than likely mineral deposits, but I would still watch for other signs like maybe puss or a bad smell coming from it.
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 1:48 pm

mariza wrote: What do you add to the water?
Well, I cleaned the rocks and tank with bleach water, then changed the water and container in which they wer sitting. added hot water and chlor out to remove the chlorine (maybe not enough? It didn't smell like chlorine anymore though). Also I added a little bit of Algae destroyer advanced and some Turtle Clean (just a little. Probably half a cap full). But now that I look at the Turtle Clean I can see white build up around the cap... hmm... maybe THATS where it came from..
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri May 27, 2005 2:15 pm

I wouldn't use all those chemicals in the water. And I'd be really careful using bleach. Is your turtle ill? The only time I'd use a very weak bleach solution is if I was dealing with a sick turtle and wanted to disinfect (and I repeatedly rinse afterward). Try using white vinegar to clean (dilute it in some water and rinse well afterward).
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 2:18 pm

No she doesn't seem ill.. I took her out of her tank to see if she would walk around the house and she did.. and enjoyed every minute of it. Also, I fed her some pellets and she didn't refuse.. just gobbled them up like crazy.. I'm going to do the vinegar ASAP and hopefully that will clear things up. BTW it was only a VERY small amount of bleach to kill the algea that had grown EVERYWHERE in the tank.. I'd done it before and it didn't have an affect on her.. but... who knows
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri May 27, 2005 2:34 pm

Yes, as you said, "...who knows." It's best to be cautious with chemicals. And the vinegar isn't toxic to turts. :) BTW, do you have a lot of algae? Is the tank in front of a window? (If so, it would be good to move it--a lot of light encourages algae.) Let us know what happens.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Fri May 27, 2005 2:57 pm

ack.. as said before i really wouldn't use the bleach.. because not only do the chemicals sometimes stay on the rocks.. but the fumes from it can damage their already fragile lungs :(

they had somewhere on this site a specific soap that was good with turtles.

when i'm cleaning my turtle's tank, i use regular antibacterial hand soap. i figure if it's gentle for a human, it'll be gentle for a turtle. the turtles seem fine with it too. it gets that nasty fish smell out...
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Fri May 27, 2005 3:00 pm

you could also get rid of the algae naturally. you can get black mysterious snails.. or whatever they're called to put in there.

when i get a bigger tank, that's what i'm doing.

they also have those sucky fish.. which once again i can't remember their names.. ugh. they eat algae. just buy more then one.. when the turtle is bored with eating fish, they can do their job.

:)

also.... (sorry to sound like a commerical) drsfosterandsmith.com .. i think that's the site...

sells antibacterial and anti algae products that you pour into the water. i have hatchlings.. so i have to be very VERY careful wtih what i use.. and so far their products work great and my turtle's are still raising as much havoc as ever. ^__^
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri May 27, 2005 3:06 pm

Soap is really not good to use (even antibacterial), and I've never heard of any kind being recommended for use with turts (if you learn of the specific brand, I'd be interested in know it, though). Soap leaves a residue that's very hard to remove.
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 3:23 pm

Ok yes so I listened to the STUPID guy at the STUPID pet store (apparently HE has 3 turtles himself and thats how he cleans it.... Ofcourse he wouldnt ever tell me if he had any PROBLEMS!! :x )
Ok well I cleaned her shell with vinegar water (it looks better, but not perfect). I also cleaned out her tank (hot water and vinegar, let her swim in the bathtub for a few and POOF! Good as new... *crosses fingers* She seems happier in her tank and I am NOT putting the filter back in. I'm going to buy a new sponge and clean the filter part REALLY good... I'll let everyone know what happens.
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 3:28 pm

VersteckterGeist wrote:you could also get rid of the algae naturally. you can get black mysterious snails.. or whatever they're called to put in there.

when i get a bigger tank, that's what i'm doing.

they also have those sucky fish.. which once again i can't remember their names.. ugh. they eat algae. just buy more then one.. when the turtle is bored with eating fish, they can do their job.

:)
color]

I thought about snails, however, from what I hear they LINGER for the rest of my life.. NOOO WAY!!!! I think they are so freaking gross, and they make the tank look NASTY!! LOL.. not a snail fan. The tank isnt by the window, but I do have her lamp on for 12 hours a day.. on a timer. maybe thats it... really that is the only place it grows really bad. I also thought about a sucker fish (algae eater) but I'm afraid Superstar will eat them.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri May 27, 2005 3:44 pm

I wouldn't worry about the snails staying forever, the turtles love to crunch on them. :lol: :lol:
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 3:49 pm

oh yea good point.. maybe I'll have to look into that
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri May 27, 2005 4:05 pm

Regarding the shell, give it a bit of time. The shell is sensitve, and it's been exposed to chemicals and brushing with a toothbrush...

Try to get the filter back in soon--the water gets dirty really fast w/o one, and you don't want to have to keep cleaning your turtle all the time. Glad to hear she's at least a little bit better.
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Fri May 27, 2005 4:20 pm

Yea I plan on getting a new filter today (and some fishies.. maybe that will make her happy again). So far she hasn't moved from the corner of her tank :cry: (she's got her head held high out of the water)

I think I brushed for a total of 4 seconds, then got scared! lol.. I'll post again if anything new comes
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat May 28, 2005 3:53 pm

i wouldn't use any type of soap or detergents at all..use natural things like vinegar or salt..they clean well, cheaper (for the ones who care), and at least u'll be sure they're ok for turtles :)
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Sat May 28, 2005 8:36 pm

WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!! I'm so happy! I went to the pet store last night, fixed her filter up all nice and new, got her some little munchies (minnows) and a couple of plants and she is so happy she could sing!! AND!! AND!! The white junk is almost gone! (I'll post a pic tomorrow).

Oh yea and Buster Brown is trying on a minnow for size (he seems to think hes 6 feet tall!)

Thanks to everyone for your help! Superstar sends big smiles all around!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 29, 2005 9:23 am

Great news, I am glad your turtles are happy :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 29, 2005 3:23 pm

great! best of luck :D
  • Information