UVB Lights

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Tue May 03, 2005 11:17 am

I was just curiuos about UVB lighting. Can the turtles absorb these rays while they are in the water or does the light need to be focused on their basking area?

Thanks,
Nick
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue May 03, 2005 4:43 pm

UV rays shouldn't be screened by anything so i think it applies to water as well
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Tue May 03, 2005 4:54 pm

How do you have your lights set up then? I have two hatchlings in a 30 gallon tank. I have rocks that slope up on one end where they bask. I placed the basking light in the back left corner.

I have a 24" light that goes across the length of the tank and I pushed it to the front of the tank..... are they getting anything from that light?
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Tue May 03, 2005 4:57 pm

yes, my uv light is just like yours. even though the light may not be directly above and shining down on their basking area, the light is still there. think about the sun. even if the clouds are there, you're still getting the uv's! even if you're in an area where the sun isn't beating right now on you .. you're still getting sun.

turn your basking light off and look at where the uv light shines. and vice versa. see how much light goes away when you turn the uv light off and turn the basking light on. i think you are just fine with your setup and you shouldn't worry.
fishrmann2
Level 2
Level 2

Tue May 03, 2005 5:00 pm

Great! Thank you for your help!

Is the rule pretty much the stronger the better on the UVB?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue May 03, 2005 5:01 pm

i didn't say it was bad..i just said they can be easily filtered by anything..sorry
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Tue May 03, 2005 7:41 pm

fishrmann2 wrote:Great! Thank you for your help!

that i can't help you with, i'm sorry.
deesygirl

Tue May 03, 2005 11:57 pm

The water will reflect some of the UVB rays but your turtles will get enough if it is running the length of your tank. Make sure you remove the glass pad the lights rest on as the rays will not be able to penatrate it. I have one tank that came with a screen and I removed it for the same reason. You will have to clean your light fixture to get the most life from it as the condensation builds up and will cause some damage.
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Wed May 11, 2005 7:50 pm

fishrmann2 wrote:Great! Thank you for your help!

Yes!!!

Get the strongest UVB you can (think the highest you can get is about 8-10% uvb and 30% UVA). Over time the amount of UV put off by the lights decreases. After 6 months about half the UV output is gone. So if you have a weak UV light after 6 months it'll give off considerably less than a high UV bulb. Just don't use anything that looks unnatural, such as a black light. Black lights give off UV, but they can blind your turtles. Use Repti-glo lights or Reptisuns. Reptiglo 8.0 is what I use on all my turtles. They can get pricey though.

Also, while these lights are good, nothing beats pure, natural, unfiltered sunlight. If you can get a small tote (or kiddie pool if you have big turtles :D ) and let them spend sometime outside in the sun on occasion. Also, putting your tank in front of a window won't work. The glass on the window (and the glass of the tank) filters out like 90% UV or something.
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:13 pm

deesygirl wrote:The water will reflect some of the UVB rays but your turtles will get enough if it is running the length of your tank. Make sure you remove the glass pad the lights rest on as the rays will not be able to penatrate it. I have one tank that came with a screen and I removed it for the same reason. You will have to clean your light fixture to get the most life from it as the condensation builds up and will cause some damage.
wait a min i am getting my UV light tommrow it will be rested on top of a glass, it will be running lenghth of the tank, so what your saying is the ray wont go throught the glass and i need to use my handy man skills to get the screen off?...........friend of mine said he got glass undeath is light and the rays are coming through cuz his turtle shells are healthy and normal as if he getting real sunlight.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:07 am

There is a type of glass that does allow the UV rays to reach the turtle, but are you willing to risk your turtle's health on it?? I don't have a hood on my tank, for one, because I don't have one that will fit, but it did fit on the original tank and I didn't use that one either for the same reason, the UV ray won't go through the glass or heavy screen(I don't mean weight btw)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:31 am

the light does get through yeah but the needed stuff will be filtered..it's better to get a screen or something with holes to allow the light go in as it is
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:20 am

Thing is my friend got glass undeath him i ask him how he know the rays go through he said "if they didn't his turtle be dead 10 years ago" but i figure out away to use the light. cuz the light part not long to enought to fit over the tank without the glass. I find away to make it work.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:45 pm

I feel sorry for your friend's turtle, God only knows what is going on inside the turtle, I hope he's right and that the glass he has allows UV rays to get in.
kevin89
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:49 pm

I go over there every weekend i see nothing wrong with the turtle he swims great, he eats normally, he begged alot lol, lots of thing he does that a normal turtle does he shed, he still poops once aweek, and every day he beats up the filter i once saw him knock his light the glass and the light in the water lol he big he an adult male RES he plays with the filter bite it, punch it, everything he can think of, and when they let him out on carpet they only do that cz there changing his tank cleaning it, so like he will run on the carpet etc. I see nothing wrong with the turtle he lead a healthy life.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:09 pm

That's great, I hope he lives a long life :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:22 pm

he sounds to be as great as any other happy turtle :)
  • Information