Turtle layed a red sac with a peice of egg shell

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

Help my female 3yo res turtle has been gravid since May and layed during the last two weeks only one egg

Then 3 on June 2nd when I took her to the vet

All together she's had 8 eggs now and been acting normal; it's her first clutch so she's been laying them in the water and eating them

Dry docking last night The last egg she laid looked like a red blob there was a shell peice attached idek if it is an egg it's just like a red sac with a shell but it's been almost 20 days since the viable eggs were laid but I'm worried because I can feel more eggs atleas 2 and I don't want her to get an infection or bound

Has anyone ever seen this happen??? There's a male in the tank so the eggs were fertile I read it could also be a bladder stone??? The vet wants her to go in for x rays but I can't afford it right now..

Also the sac had a VERY fishy smell bright red not like a scab
Attachments
Screenshot_20200622-111432.png
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, just a thought, did you feed tomatoes or something with red skin?
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

She had some red pepper the other day I thought it could be that but it didn't look like skin it was a big peice of something red and foul smelling (bigger then I cut the peices) and it came out with a shell peice and no fecal matter: she has eaten her eggs before so maybe she just passed it with the pepper??
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Most likely you are right especially because of the smell. Turtle poo, well any poo, smells quite bad when it is smashed.
  • Information