New Turtle: Can't Identify, Please help me

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
Turtle Angel

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:43 am

Hi, I was just given a rescued turtle and I'm having problems deciding what it is. I'm traveling at the meoment and so I can't upload a picture, but I was hoping someone might recognize a description. I thought it might be a red ear slider but I've only seen babies so I'm not sure. What I can see of the inside of it's shell and the bottom portion of the shell are blood red. It face is kind of striped with yellow and greenish-black. It's neck is striped red and greenish-black. It's front legs at least have the red color dotted on and it's tail has at least one yellow strip going down it. I'll upload a picture if need be in about a week once I'm home. Thanks! :roll: :)
Pia
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:49 pm

I think its a Painted turtle you have. They are really nice :) This site has the care of them. (hope it helps) :D http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/care-painteds.htm
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:44 pm

red on the neck, that should be a Red-eared slider (RES)

but what do u mean by the blood red on the bottom of the shell? cz that's not a good sign..the turtles might be blood-poisoned

enjoy ur trip and when u're back it'll be helpful to post a pic of the turtles and especially its bottom shell (although i hope nothing's wrong with it)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:20 pm

Sounds like a Western Painted turtle:

but what do u mean by the blood red on the bottom of the shell? cz that's not a good sign..the turtles might be blood-poisoned
Turtle Angel was describing the color of the bottom shell. :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:39 pm

oh ok this is much better :) yeah it sounds like a painted but what about the red stripes on the neck??
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:16 pm

I don't know, I guess we'll have to wait for the pictures :D
Turtle Angel

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:19 pm

Okay thanks. Unfortunately the bottom doesn't look like the Painted Turtles. I cleaned it today and it's bottom shell doesn't look as red so I hope it isn't food poisoning. I have some pictures that were taken with a picture phone so their not great, but if you tell me how to put them on here I will try and when I get home I will put up better ones. :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:01 am

POSTING A PICTURE:
You can put a picture here like this:

1. You need to have your pictures in an on-line album like www.photobucket.com , which I use.
2. Under your picture there are three entries, the picture's url, the url for use on message boards with "IMG" in caps, and one for "Blogs"

3. Copy the plain "Url" (the first url in the picture)

4. On the message board you need to click on the "Img" button just above the square where you put your message

5. Paste the url from the picture and then click on the "Img" button again, when you click on the button the first time, the button will look like this "Img*", that is so you remember to click on it again to complete the picture posting.

I hope that helps.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:22 am

hey stray this is goood demo :D i hope they can use it as a reference for posting pix on this board..but hmm it's restricted to photobucket :?: maybe u can sell it to them :evil: (marketing courses are bad btw :o )
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:55 pm

It is not restricted to Image , you can use any online album that will let you post on forums, I have just had good luck with photobucket, anyway, they wouldn't pay me for advertising. :lol:

I have the whole post copied to a notepad, that way if anyone wants to find out how to post, all I have to do is copy it and post it, instead of typing so much. :lol:
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:54 pm

I don't remember you describing what the carapace/top shell looks like, but from your description and since you're in Fla., could it be a Florida Red-bellied Cooter?
Turtle Angel

Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:12 pm

Thanks Stray for the help with the pics, now I'm just waiting to be activated. Pia, sorry but my turtle looks rather different then yours. Mariza unfortunately it's carapace is dark and kind of blah , and while I live in Florida this Turtle was found in either Virginia or Pennsylvania. I think my Dad almost ran him over. Also there is sometype of slug or something of that vatiety moving near it's leg on the inside of it's shell. Is that normal and if it isn't what should I do about it? Also my mom wants to know what could be done for a turtle that had blood poisoning. I also wanted to know more about the different levels, I read all that I could find but it didn't explain about the levels. Oh Dixie, I meant to say sorry about Leo earlier, (even though that seems to have happened a while back,) I lost three turtles around the time of the hurricanes in florida last year.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:07 pm

You're welcome, hey how about this little guy?:

Yellow-Blotched Map Turtle (Graptemys flavimaculata)

From: http://www.chelonia.org/Southeastern_USA_Gallery.htm

Here is a quote about septicimia (blood poisoning):
Symptoms:
Lethargy, weakness, possible red flush to limbs or plastron.
Probable cause:
Generalized septicemia (blood poisoning).
Treatment:
Many cases result from traumatic injury, especially if incurred in contaminated water. There may be hepatosis as the liver can rapidly become implicated. Urgent parenteral antibiotic treatment is required together with careful and intensive supportive therapy. Blood tests can be useful in establishing the progress of treatment.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:08 pm

Turtle Angel wrote: Oh Dixie, I meant to say sorry about Leo earlier, (even though that seems to have happened a while back,) I lost three turtles around the time of the hurricanes in florida last year.
thanx,,yeah but although it's been a while we never forget them..sorry about ur turtles too..3 at once is not easy at all
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:33 pm

Try to identify it by where it was found here: http://www.chelonia.org/bygeography.htm
  • Information