Help! What type of turtle do I have?

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
abibibi

I found this turtle (tortoise?) in my backyard, and I'd like to identify what type it is to provide it with the right care. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Attachments
output-onlinejpgtools.jpg
output-onlinejpgtools.jpg (24.38 KiB) Viewed 91 times
output-onlinejpgtools (1).jpg
output-onlinejpgtools (1).jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 91 times
output-onlinejpgtools (2).jpg
output-onlinejpgtools (2).jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 91 times
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,
To me, it looks like a type of American Box Turtle, perhaps Eastern Box Turtle.
Eastern Box Turtles live in woodland near body of water. They don’t swim well like typical turtle you see in a pond but instead they walk around wooded area and eat small prey like earth worms, slugs, snails, bugs, as well as mushrooms, berries, plants.
Like name suggests, they can close up bottom shell to become a “box” for protection when grow up big enough. New born baby cannot close the shell though.

Where do you live?
All species of American Box Turtle are under severe pressure from habitat destruction and fragmentation, and also road kill and over collection for pet trade, resulting steady decline in population.
In some areas, it is illegal to take them from wild or keep as pet without proper permits from local government.

Box Turtles can potentially live for 60-80 years or more. Some record holders are supposedly over 100 years.
If this baby is American Box Turtle and if your surrounding area still have enough natural habitat left, it is the best if you could let the baby go back to his land so that they can keep their circle of life going.
abibibi

Hi! Thank you so much for helping me identify the turtle and providing your expertise. I live in Maryland, and I have decided to release him back into the natural habitat that I found him. I hope he will live a happy life and be able to carry on his life cycle. Thanks again!!
  • Information