PLEASE help me!!!

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
Mama2lots

We just got.... (I THINK, it's a baby, it's LITTLE!) some kind of turtle!! A friend of ours, 12 yr old son's, friend's, turtle, had babies. Our friends son decided he wanted 1 &..... doesn't really want to take care of it, anymore:-( . NEVER in a million years did I think I'd ever WANT a turtle, for a pet!! But then... we were asked to foster a HUGE red eared slider turtle, for a few months & OMGosh!!! I never woulda thought a turtle could have THAT much of a personality!! Not to mention, I'm a huge softy for anything that has feelings, human or not, that I feel like isn't being treated fairly. Or... the way I want to b treated. So... anyways, we got this lil turtle. & I can SEE that it doesn't have the red "ears", so I'm thinking it's not an RES. But, it's super important to me, to give this lil guy/girl, a safe, healthy, happy, home! The 12 yr old, tried, but... he's 12!! When we grabbed out the basking lamps, he was like, 'it needs a light??'!! But, really, before we do anything, we need to know what kind of turtle it is, so we know what's gonna make it, the healthiest/happiest. We've looked all over, online & have a couple ideas, but... we'd rather get ppls opinions, that know more than a cpl months of "turtle knowledge". I'm going to try to figure out, how to post pics & if any1 could PLEASE help us, figure out what this is... we'd all b SO appreciative!!
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
If the turtle resembles Red Eared Slider but lacks red ears, it is very possibly Yellow Bellied Slider or Cumberland Slider.
Both YBS and CLS are North American species so RES care guide should work for them.

It is less likely but there is a chance that it is some type of Central American or South American Slider species.
Even if that is the case, you should keep him/her in identical way as RES but perhaps pay extra attention to temperature and don’t over winter outside.
  • Information