OH MY GOD! OMG OMG OMG!!!!

Discussions about turtles.
sohcahtoa
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:44 pm

My red-eared slider, who I've had and adored for more than two years now is MISSING!!!

I LEFT IT OUTSIDE ON MY BALCONY TO BASK IN A LITTLE POOL AS I ALWAYS DO, AND WHEN I CAME BACK, IT WAS GONE!!!!

I live on the third floor of a condominium!!! There's a climbable tree right near it, so I'm nearly POSITIVE A SQUIRREL CAME AND TOOK IT AWAY (no other explanation!!! a sparrow??!!)! My turtle's still tiny (I raised it from a wee hatchling), and probably pick-up-abble (tho it's pretty heavy???!!!!)...

I've searched high and low underneath the balcony -- it doesn't appear to have fallen straight off (and I'm positive it couldn't have climbed out of its tank/pool thingy...unless they have amazing, amazing upper upper body strength). I've even been following squirrels to see where they go, and I've been LOOKING UP TREES, for crying out loud!!!

I'm FREAKING OUT, but unfortunately, I don't think my searches will yield anything...there are simply too many places it could be....

So...this is probably my own fault for leaving it outside unattended (I didn't THINK anything could happen!!!), but let this serve as a cautionary tale to others reading this: PROTECT YOUR TURTLES (if they're small ones) IF YOU LET THEM BASK OUTSIDE!

I've been letting it bask outside for two years...I CAN'T believe this just happened...can't believe it...I'm numb with shock...

will go out again to look soon.... :(
sohcahtoa
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:49 pm

...OMG, do squirrels EAT RESes????
rertjwi

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:11 pm

DUED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
sohcahtoa
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:32 pm

this is such a sad end...it's different than a dog or cat running away...i mean, my turtle disappeared off my third floor balcony!

did it get eaten? fall to its death? roaming around somewhere where the squirrel got bored with it and set it down? in a tree???
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:59 pm

I think that the turtle may have fallen three floors. It is also possible that the turtle fell back onto the balcony. Why would a squirrel take it? How big is your turtle?
sohcahtoa
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:40 pm

My turtle's shell is probably about 3-4 inches long. I think that it's small enough that a determined squirrel would be able to hold onto it.

It's definitely not on my balcony anymore, and I've searched everywhere underneath the balcony

P.S. Sorry for my overly-panicky title for this post. I just...I completely freaked when I saw my turtle was no longer in its pool or anywhere else on the balcony...

:(
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:27 am

I am pretty sure you can rule out squirrels, cats on the other hand, are a different story, squirrels are herbivorous as far as I know. Look under everything in your place, they are very good climbers and if they can get a good foot hold, they will disappear in an instant, I have had one of my turtles climb out of the tank even though it is a pretty big climb, I still don't know how he managed it, twice. :?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:15 am

i'm so sorry for that but u'll have to cool down cz u won't be able to do anything under panic. are there any water pipes in the balcony? there are usually ones that hang outside for water to go out when cleaning, do u have any? check them cz the same thing happened to my hamster and he stayed there for 2 days and we finally found him sticking his nose outside trying to find food. anyways just check it and put smelly food around like tuna or chicken, the turtle will follow the smell if it was anywhere near.

good luck and keep us posted plz
iuttbdqenx

Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:58 am

When my girlfriend was younger, she took her res out to the front lawn. When she came back from a very short trip inside, a seagull snatched it away right in front of her. Very sorry for your loss, it's very sad. I hope you go on to adopt another.
Urbanoidstav1961

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:42 pm

omg calm down like dixieee said...im sorry that happend i hope you can find your turtle soon.one time my brother put my large turtle about 8 inches in the back yard he was also watering the plants and then my turtle went somewhere and my brother did not pay attaion to it.so i never gotto see my lary again.i looked all over but still dont see him anywhere so i did not tell my parent cuz i though i am going to be in trouble.
sohcahtoa
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:32 pm

Well, I'm calm now.

I had typed my first post while I was still in shock.

The way my balcony is meant that the turtle either plunged 4 stories -- or, it was abducted by an animal that was capable of climbing up the only tree leading to the balcony (no pipes or anything). I live in a suburban area (we don't see a wide variety of animals here during the day -- just squirrels, sparrows, and doves), and the disappearance happened in the window of one to two hours in broad daylight. It was just too bizarre for me. One minute he was there, the next, it was empty. Honestly, I wouldn't have been as panicked if it had been on the ground and had wandered off. The scenario was just too weird for me.

However, I've been told by my mom that a neighbor's cat (that is allowed to roam free) has actually made it up to our balcony before (I wasn't aware of that before), so I think that's one of the most likely explanations.

I've been outside to search a few times, but to no avail. If it did fall off somehow, it definitely didn't die on impact because I'm combed that area thoroughly already.

I'm sad because it was a very healthy and cute turtle that I've had since it was a hatchling, and I had hoped to keep it for a long, long time.

I can only hope that it either died a quick painless death, or that someone out there found it and is caring for it.
Urbanoidstav1961

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:25 am

hmm i heard that cats are a big no no with turtles.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:04 am

even if a cat picked it up, u should find the umm sorry to say, leftovers :!:

but i hope that u find it soon. let everyone in the area know that there is a missing turtle so they could help if they find it.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:00 am

A squirrel is a definite no, but a cat is much more likely. Here's something new for you to try.

What you should do, is place a small water source in any place you think the turtle might be. I don't know how, but if they are near the water, they have a way of finding it. It may take a couple days before the turtle ends up in one of the sources of water you provide. Use a small, shallow dish that the turtle can easily climb into.

Mariza is the one I got that trick from.
sohcahtoa
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:05 pm

Thanks for that tip. I'll definitely try it.

Do turtles tend to stay around the same place? The wide expanse of land would be soo weird and foreign to him...I hope he didn't freak and just take off...and I hope the wandering cat hasn't gotten to him yet...(though I'm afraid chances aren't in my favor).

And how injured do you think he'd be from a four-story fall, if say, he fell through a dozen springy branches which would break his fall? Do their shells crack easily? :(
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:05 am

i would say it depends on the surface he fell on. if it's grass, there shouldn't be much injury but if it was a road, bricks, sement...

are there any tall grasses or bushes around? look in those damp/dark places cz there is more chance for him to be hiding somewhere
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:37 am

It's really based on the personality of the turtle. There are some that will go out and explore, and there are most that quickly seek out a dark place to hide and sleep.
  • Information