about the salmonella bacteria...and ban hatchling urtle for.

Discussions about turtles.
Urbanoidstav1961

Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:34 pm

what about that thing that make me fell like mad.all reptile has it dont they?

is their a way to get rid of that bacteria?some turtle farm just clean the eggs and put some chemicle on it and then they hatch and clean the turtle again.does that help?does it work.and sone turtle farm does that and make oxygen in the pond and other stuff i for got but thos that relllay help?

will the FDA will ever change the law about hatchling turtles?

well i make me fell kind mad but i know that it for our own good and for citizen.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:18 pm

if u have anything to add to ur post u can edit it especially when no one answers instead of posting that much stuff in here.

for ur Q, salmonella exists in turtles the same way it does in any other animal. if u wash ur hands well after holding them there's nothing to worry about
jacey

Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:53 pm

Hi sunny41 :)
Urbanoidstav1961

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:52 am

what does FDA stands for?
vncweygbo

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:56 pm

FDA stand for "Food & Drug Administration"
Urbanoidstav1961

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:14 pm

oh. i been resarching about it.AND WHO WOULD PUT AN TINY TURTLE IN THEIR MOUTH!?THAT NOT RIGHT!ok parent should have watch on them instead of think it great for an turtle for an pet for an 5 years old kid!gosh dumb pet stores who liyed to their custemers about hatchling turtle make good pets for an 5 years old kid.what the heck is an loophole that the petstore use?
deesygirl

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:24 pm

Putting a turtle in the mouth is only a small part of why the law was passed. Many children died from salmonella poisoning and most was due to the fact that they never washed after handling the turtles or their habitats. This is a huge reason why I really discourage letting them wander about your home. As they wander they can leave traces of the bacteria on any surface they touch. Including your bathtub. So sanitize all areas where your turtle has been and wash, wash, wash after touching them.

Turtles under 4" are to be sold only for educational or exibit purposes but many pet stores like to skirt around that issue.
Urbanoidstav1961

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:14 pm

omg i heard of that.this kind of want me to stop talking about this bacteria.
Urbanoidstav1961

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:17 pm

when i grow up i will have turtle but if i raise an baby turtle by incubation i would never ever let my kid have an turtle or hold an baby turtle.i would wait untill they are 13 or untill they are resonsible to have any pets.exept for an baby turtle. i can of feel bad of child death of that bacteria. :cry:
woop sorry i just though of this like now.
vncweygbo

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:56 pm

My son was five when we got our turtle and he has handled her since the first day. It is my responsibility as his mom to make sure he washes his hands properly before and after handling her. He's never whined about it either :P (great kid!) Also, we only take her out of the tank when it's warm enough to take her outside, because of the same reason Deesy stated, the bacteria could end up all over the house.... ummmm ick! :lol: We've had absolutely no problems at all with it in the last year that we've had Snappy so I think you just have to be responsible about dealing with it. :lol:
deesygirl

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:17 pm

trtlduv wrote:.........I think you just have to be responsible about dealing with it. :lol:
Exactly. :lol: When you approach the issue responsibly then there is no problem.

Sunny, not talking about the issue isn't a good solution to the problem. Only by educating people can the risks be eliminated.
vncweygbo

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:49 pm

OMG!!, Deesy, who's that adorable kid-o on your avatar?!

Oh, and I wasn't trying to be rude, sunny41, just trying to help... It's always a good idea to talk about things... makes it easier when it comes time for others to deal with the same issues! :P
deesygirl

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:06 pm

trtlduv wrote:OMG!!, Deesy, who's that adorable kid-o on your avatar?!
That is my Grandson Josh and he is a real snuggle bug.

Thanks for the compliment, I think he is adorable too.
Urbanoidstav1961

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:44 pm

when i have emerald and diamond i di not even put them in the bath tun well when diamond and i did not know she was sick(it kinda hard to tell when they are sick) and then i notice when i look at a turtle with the fungus then i took emerald out to lok at her hand at that look like it so i knew she had fugus an di did put emerald in the bathroom but in a container and put medication on her/he.so the bacrteria could be in my room and the bathtubs.
what a loophole that a pet store use?
when i resaersh about lousania how their method of salmonella free but thwn i see this one report where their method dosent really word it thill their in the turtle.i was kinda shock when that report said that.i am goign to research more.i know how to clean the turtle tank with using glove s to you will be protected.i read it here when i wasnt an member here thuis place make want to be an member here to i can get a lot of advice when i have an promblem.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:06 pm

deesygirl wrote:
trtlduv wrote:OMG!!, Deesy, who's that adorable kid-o on your avatar?!
That is my Grandson Josh and he is a real snuggle bug.

Thanks for the compliment, I think he is adorable too.
the one u posted his pic a while back? the new-born? what a lovely boy :)
deesygirl

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:16 pm

dixieee wrote:the one u posted his pic a while back? the new-born? what a lovely boy :)
Yes, this is the same one. He is my sweetheart.

Thanks Dixieee. :arrow:
vncweygbo

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Man, they really grow up fast don't they? It's kinda sad really! I tried to tell my son the other day to try not to grow up too fast, that no matter what he thinks, being a grown up is totally over-rated!! I think he'll believe me till he's about 12 or 13!! After that, he'll be a know-it-all, I'm sure! I know I was! :P
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:10 am

mod :)

can't blame them, this is one of the toughest centuries to live in and many grown ups can't survive so what about little helpless kids..
  • Information