My first baby turtle

Discussions about turtles.
cutie202005

Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:54 pm

I need help, i just got a baby turtle its a red eared slider he is about an inch and a little bit, he's tiny.. This is my first turtle ever and I got it from a pet store but i feel that i don't know enough about them, and i want him to grow nice and healthy.

i have it in a 20 gallon tank with a piece of foam stuff that looks like a rock so he can climb onto to get dry and i have plastic and real plants in the water for him to hide in.

They say to have a strong filter but i have a problem they told me to only have the water like 2 inches and half deep cause he's so little and i can't find a filter that reaches down that far to the water to filter my tank what do i do???? :?:

I also wanted rocks at the bottom of the tank to cover the bottom but they told me its not a good idea right now cause he might eat them thinking they are food, what can i do :?:

My tank used to be a fish tank it came with everything i have a light that came with it its like a hood light and its got a florecent light in it i don't know if thats the right kind i should have in it???I don't have a light for heating, so i was wondering if i should have it cause i have a heater in there and the tempature is set at 82 degrees.Please help me i don't know what to do :(
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:54 pm

welcome to the board :)

ok calm down and don't worry cz u seem to be on the right way! :D

u can use big rocks (bigger than the turtle's head), in that way he won't eat them. for the filter, u can increase the water level a bit gradually until ur turtle becomes a good swimmer and u both enjoy it more :) the temp is set right so don't worry about that too.

how is the little guy? is he shy? is he eating? what did u call him? :)
cutie202005

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:31 am

ok good thats a good thing to hear thank you...

Yes he is doing great he is eating great i fed him last night 3 little pieces of dried shrimp and he's eating it fine... he goes off and on his basking spot, i really think he likes his home..I hold him at least 3 times a day so he can get used tome and today i might just let him rum around for a bit.. 8)

Question: how do i filterize it if the filters won't reach that far to the bottom because the water level is pretty shallow for the little guy???and it has to be at least almost half to filterize..I can take a picture of my tank and post it if i knew how...lol :?: :?:

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it and i haven't figured out what i'm gonna name, i want a really good name :P
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:32 pm

nice :) maybe u'll have to raise the water level until it reaches the filters..he'll be ok don't worry they are good swimmers
turtledude123
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:43 pm

welcome to the board !!

There are many things a turtle needs:

1. A UVA buld for calcium absorbtion and basking
2. A tank that is five-ten gallons for every inch of shell.

those are the most important

3.Water at least five inches deep.
4. A surface above the water to bask on the whole setup should not go under water!!!!
5.Food-
I- The best are the Reptomin pellets from tetrafauna
II- If he is not eating them try soaking them in tuna WATER not
tuna juice(like from a can: tuna in water not in its own juices)
III- If all else fails, boil chicken, then soak it in the tuna water
(that's a garuntee)
6.Thermometer- the water temp should be 80-85 during day, 75-80 at night- the higher the temp, the more he eats, the more he eats the more he poops, so don't put the temp too high.

Options:

1. A filter (if you don't want to keep changing the water every three days)
Turtles are messy things. You need a filter made for twice the tanks
water capacity. (10 gallon tank-20 gallon tank filter)
2. Plants. They are decorative and turtles like to play in them.
3. Rocks. Decorative and turtle love to climb on them. If they are rocks you found outside bleach them or boil them, then put them in your tank.

Thats pretty much it!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me!

Keep us posted on his condition
turtledude123
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:44 pm

welcome to the board !!

There are many things a turtle needs:

1. A UVA buld for calcium absorbtion and basking
2. A tank that is five-ten gallons for every inch of shell.

those are the most important

3.Water at least five inches deep.
4. A surface above the water to bask on the whole setup should not go under water!!!!
5.Food-
I- The best are the Reptomin pellets from tetrafauna
II- If he is not eating them try soaking them in tuna WATER not
tuna juice(like from a can: tuna in water not in its own juices)
III- If all else fails, boil chicken, then soak it in the tuna water
(that's a garuntee)
6.Thermometer- the water temp should be 80-85 during day, 75-80 at night- the higher the temp, the more he eats, the more he eats the more he poops, so don't put the temp too high.

Options:

1. A filter (if you don't want to keep changing the water every three days)
Turtles are messy things. You need a filter made for twice the tanks
water capacity. (10 gallon tank-20 gallon tank filter)
2. Plants. They are decorative and turtles like to play in them.
3. Rocks. Decorative and turtle love to climb on them. If they are rocks you found outside bleach them or boil them, then put them in your tank.

Thats pretty much it!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me!

Keep us posted on his condition
cutie202005

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:29 pm

ok i will try to raise it to the filter that will make the tank like half full, i hope he'll be ok he seems to be doing great now he loves it, he's eating and he's also basking all the time off and on all day too, so i'm pretty happy to see that...
i have decided a name and i'm gonna call him squirt:)
thanks for the help
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:37 am

squirt, nice common name :) u'll both like it when the water level rises, they are soo adorable when they swim
centex
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:26 am

Looks like you guys got this covered!! :D

John
cutie202005

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:07 pm

hello Dixie,

how many turtles do you have????How old?? And i was wondering if you knew how to post pictures on here??
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:05 pm

hi cutie202005 :)

i have 3 (2 alive, one passed away but is still living in my heart :( ) . the girl is turning 1 this month and the other little guy will in november.

to post a pic:

1- u should have it on an online album. try www.photobucket.com it's the best up till now

2- after u sign up and upload the photos, right click on the pic u want and go to properties

3- copy the URL address

4- in ur post here, paste the copied address in that way:
[ i m g ] the address goes here [ / i m g]
WITHOUT any spaces but i have to do it this way so they don't think i'm posting a pic

5- the pic is here and we can enjoy it :)

if u find it difficult send them to my email [email protected] and i'll do it for u
cutie202005

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:37 pm

Hi,

I was wondering, how big do these guys really get i've been told so many stories i don't know who to believe and buy the time they're full grown how big of a tank will i need in the end, just so i know???

Here's a few pictures

Also, i guess you can't tell what sex they are untill they get a bit older eh :?: And how long does it take for them to grow for you to notice??? as you can tell i'm really excited, sorry for al the questions but i know nothing about these things...lol

Oh i hired the water level and he seems to be fine i also added some fish too for when he gets bigger they seem to be happy to and it makes the tank look a little better..but there was something on here that i read that if you turtle basks mostly at night then he probably has a desease is this true??? Cause my baby basks mostly at around dinner time and all through the night , off and on so does that mean he has a desease??

I want to get him/her a lilly pad but i dont want to buy something that will kill him, and is the food i'm feeding him good enough its called nutrafin(gammarus pellets) or should i be feeding hims omething with it???
please help me...lol thanks :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:44 am

what a cutie :) awesome setup, i love it :D

as for the RES u have, if it was a female it'll grow up to 12-14". if a male, i think 8-10" but that will be after a looong time cz remember that their life span could reach 40 yrs. u'll find that he's growing really fast at the beginning but don't worry it'll slow down in the 2nd yr or so.

the tank u have looks big (how many gallons is it?) and will hold that tiny guy for a good while :)

yeah it is said that u can't tell their sex but i find that it shows clearly on many turtles :o i was able to tell mine and days are showing that i am right 8) :lol:

where did u read about the basking time?? as far as i know, there's nothing like that. maybe he basks at nights cz he feels no one's around.

floating lillies :( i got one for mine when i was on vacation but i couldn't find it now. it was wonderful :cry: is the one u have artificial? why would it kill him :)

pellets are the basic diet, u can give him tuna fish or cooked chiken occasionaly as treats only. as he gets older, his diet should consist basically of fruits and veggies so i suggest u begin introducing them from now.

ask as much as u want, we enjoy it :)
cutie202005

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:14 pm

hey,

my tank is a 20 gallon tank, it was my old fish tank i used to have 6 fish in it but when i ound out htere was turtles at the pet shop in town i almost fainted, cause i am obsessed with them i have turtle suramics all over my house its halarious i even have a turtle mobile of my own... :lol:

the basking thing, i read it in here, some guy was saying his turtle was basking mostley at night adn the other guy said keep an eye on himc uase he might have a desease...i dunno and i think his turtle was bigger too..

I don't have a lily in my tank yet, i want to get one for him my bf suggested it actually the other day...lol
The plants that are in my tank are artificial plants except one that they gave me at the pet shop that was is with her turtles already..

What kinds of fruits and veggies are best for him and what should i keep away from :?: And for tuna you mean the kind in a can that we eat????lol

The reason why i ask how big of a tank i'll need in the end is becuase when i change from this 20 gallon i want to get the biggest size he'll need so then i don't have to buy all these tanks as he gets bigger...

I took squirt out last night and let him run around on my floor, i held him for a bit too, those things are fast and they say they are slow, well they're wrong.. :lol: He's pretty shy but he's getting better cause when i used to stick my hand in the tank to feed him he used to run now he stays there but just hides his head when i drop the food in there:)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:17 pm

let it be 100+ gallons then cz u'll have to measure it that way: if ur turtle turn to be a female (which will grow larger), expect it to reach 12 inches. now the rule says 10 gallons/inch of shell length. that gives us 120 gallons excluding the basking area. let's say it'll be something floating so u will need the 120+ gallons sooner or later. if there will be more turtles, add their shell lengths and u'll get the size u need. pretty much yeah but that will be the best scenario.

if u can find that topic about night basking paste the link here cz i'm sure there was a misunderstanding in there :)

for the food, there's a topic in this section of the msg board, the one about what is good food and what is not (i think). stray posted something very useful and it has the perfect answer to ur Q (many thanx to stray :) )

nice to hear u're getting used to each other :D
cutie202005

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:25 pm

ok i will look around to wear i read it, might take me a while i look everywhere on here lol, but i iwll let you know
isn't a 120 gallon tank huge, wear am i gonna put it...lol my sister in law has a 30 gallona dn that tank is huge, oh dear :o
thanks dixie
question you got msn or yahoo???
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:38 pm

it is but actually this is too much. they say so but i mean who could follow that rule! u can estimate the needed size in my opinion :)
  • Information