I have important questions about a big turtle with lil tur..

Discussions about turtles.
kimmyxrayrad
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:33 pm

can anyone please help me on thes questions?I hade 2 turtels for over a year and about 2 months ago one died.They were both red ear sliders so about 2 days ago i got a baby map turtle.

1.Is a 10 gallon tank ok for them?

2.Is well water ok for them?

3.Is the same food over and over(floating food sticks from wal-mart)ok for them?

4.Will the big turtle hurt the little one?

5.As long as the water stays clear do i still have to change it at least once a month?

6.will the turtles try to eat the fake(they are made out of clothing material from the store.)plants and get harmed?

7.my 10 gallon tank came with 2 long lights one on each side. Is that to hot because thats what it came with.

Some times the big turtle goes back and forth snifing the little turtle whil one of the bg turtles hands shake really fast it's weard. Im afraid of it trying to kill it but it has been in the tank for like 2 days and the first 30 min. the little one was in the tank it tried to bite it then left it alone ntil later that night it tried to bite it's head then the big one is just snifing him and swarming him.
kimmyxrayrad
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:49 pm

i really need someone to help me.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:38 pm

welcome to the board :)

sorry for ur loss, did u know what was wrong with ur turtle?

ok now for the Q's:

1.Is a 10 gallon tank ok for them? actually it is not very ok bcz that's the min. and now already one of ur turtles is over a year old. the rule says 10 gallons/inch of turtle length and u'll have to add all the sums to find the perfect size. it is too much so maybe a little upgrade will do unless u have the space and money for the big one

2.Is well water ok for them? is it the water u're drinking from? i personally use drinking water to be on the safe side

3.Is the same food over and over(floating food sticks from wal-mart)ok for them? that's the best thing they need but a treat from time to time won't harm. give them some veggies, tuna fish, cooked chicken, crickets,...they love those. but remember, as treats only :)

4.Will the big turtle hurt the little one? u're the only one who can answer that. it depends on ur turtle's personality but maybe since it's used to having company then it wouldn't mind the new guy

5.As long as the water stays clear do i still have to change it at least once a month? yes it is better for hygiene reasons :o

6.will the turtles try to eat the fake(they are made out of clothing material from the store.)plants and get harmed? they are very curious and u have to expect them trying to eat anything so make sure everything in there is safe for them

7.my 10 gallon tank came with 2 long lights one on each side. Is that to hot because thats what it came with. sorry i don't know about that but how strong are those lights? i hope someone can help u with it

finally, the thing ur big turtle is doing to the little guy is what's known as the "turtle dance". they consider it as some kind of mating rituals but it might not be true so let's just say he's welcoming the new fellow :)

ok so good luck and if u need anything don't hesitate to ask
kimmyxrayrad
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:12 pm

thank you so much!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:17 pm

anytime :D and if u need anything else, we're always here :)
centex
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:39 am

You go it covered!!! :lol: 8)

John
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:09 am

yup, summer vacation!! :lol:
cutie202005

Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:09 pm

Hello,

just a word of advice if you big turtle starts snapping at the baby turtle i'd advise you to take the little guy out just incase cause he might end up without a head or something , it usually means the big one is being taratorial but if not and they just do the little dance then i hope they do good together, good luck
Sorry for your loss
jenn
Smashdance
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:20 pm

I am really glad to hear that the little thing they do with their flippers may actually be good! I thought they did that when they were mad at each other. Does anyone know how old Red Ear Sliders have to be before they can mate? Just curious. Thanks!
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:09 pm

be very, very careful about the fact that your bigger guy is picking on your little turtle. he's telling him who's boss and your little guy might lose a leg, head or tail along the way. or, he might just get an open wound. horrible.

my little guy's tail is a touch shorter than it would have been if it had not been bitten. when i got my little guy, the turtles were only 6 months apart and i cannot imagine putting a baby (much less a map turtle because they tend to be even smaller as hatchlings) with a 1 year old RES. hopefully things work themselves out, but in a 10 gallon tank .. this is asking a lot.

in the 2 months that your older guy has had the tank to himself, he's made it his territory. if you can't afford a bigger tank right now .. make sure you buy a rubbermaid container that's larger than your tank is now. they really need a lot more room.

your turtles will bite at the plants, it's inevitable. especially for turtles who already express other kinds of territorial behaviour. the one i have is very thick plastic and my turtle's beak cannot penetrate it, therfore i haven't had a problem. just keep an eye on it and it should be fine.

instead of using the 2 lights on the sides of the tank, why don't you use UVA/UBA lights for heat and UV reasons? this way you won't have to worry about using the lights and therefore won't be wondering if it is too hot. do you have UVA/UVB lights? these are extremely important.
  • Information