new turtle owner can anyone give me some tips?

Discussions about turtles.
newbie_turtle_owner
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:36 pm

i just got 2 red ear turtles i believe they are i had to look it up,my best friends brother had them and he was not takig care of them their tank only had less than an inch of water and the poor things was brown and wasnt moving alot,15 mins after i put them in a small bowl with fresh water they jumped to life again and started moving more and with in a day they got their color back,we was in alabama visiting my friends family at the time so i put them in that small bowl for the trip back here to ga. now i have them in a bowl a big larger,i plan on getting a big tank for the little things,im giving them the reptile sticks,and i threw a couple small peices of chicken in for them(i was told they like it) anyways i was wondering if anyone can give me some tips about taken care of them,i was told they dont live too long : ( so i want to do what i can to keep them happy and alive for a long time,im not even sure if they are even eating,the one is the size of a quarter,and the other is about the size of a half dollar or silver dollar,i have yet to name them cant think of a good name,right now lol im calling them thing one and thing two lol my husbands idea ha ha ha,anyways let me know what i can do.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:30 am

If you do indeed have two red ear sliders they can live for quite a while. In captivity 20+ years isn't uncommon. You should get the largest tank you can afford. The tank should have at least a basking area, a UV lamp, a basking lamp (over the basking area), a filter that is suited for a tank at least 3 times the size of the tank you have (cause turtles are messy).

Those are the basics. I have a lot of fake plants and rocks and stuff. Most people don't add aquarium gravel because it hides dirt/poop and stuff. If you choose to use aquarium gravel, make sure it is bigger than the turtle's head because they might try to eat it. I also add calcium supplements to my water to help harden the turtle shells. You may need a heater depending on the temperature of your water. I keep my water at 78 degrees F and the basking area is about 90 degrees F.

Sorry for such a long post, hopefully you will enjoy your new friends. Everyone here is a great help! You can search other posts and the allturtles.com website for care tips etc. It is a great resource! Thanks Taryn!

Welcome to the board.
newbie_turtle_owner
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:02 am

cool,thanks for the info,i really do need to get a heater i keep changing the water at least 2 to 3 times a day to keep it warm for them,it gets cold,and i have until the first of this coming month before i can get the little things a tank or heater and such, :( i hope they can deal with that little bowl and non heated water until monday,is it normal that they dont swim too well,and freak out at least the smallest one freaks out when i put the water in where it covers their shells,he freaks and starts trying to swim and he really sucks at it :!: i put a pic of them up there below my name not a good pic and the light sucks at the time,i hope to get a better pic up,but anyways thanks alot for the tips.. :P
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:26 am

RES are excellent swimmers, but since your turtles are not used to deep waters, I would add an inch or so per day until they get used to swimming, after you get it deep enough, you can put an adjustable floating dock.

Turtles freak out pretty easily, depending on their personality, in my opinion, it is a good sign that they freak out, lets you know that they at least have energy :lol:

Here is a picture of the basic necessities:

Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:28 pm

Hi and welcome..
To keep the babies warm till monday, use a reading or desk or workshop clamp light( not Holagin to hot..)with a normal house light bulb of 40 watts place that over one side of bowl, not to close, and make sure it is safe, not touching or able to fall in water. this will provide heat till you can set them up right. make sure they can get away from the heat if they want to...
RESrule
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:26 am

i have RES to they are babys and are in a ten gallon tank the guy at the pet store said in about 5 years i will need to get a 70 to 100 gallon tank hope u have enogh money and space by then so your turtles are happy and healthy :P good luck
Black_Snapper
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:38 am

If you are going to have to get a 100 gal. I suggest you rellease the turtles in a pond in the farm area of central Ohio. They Can feed off of small Fish like minnows and baby blue gills. Heck they will even eat small birds around the pond! they will be more happy :) and you dont have to get a husge tank thats bigger than your house!!!

The Black_Snapper has spoken...
RESrule
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:39 am

make sure that when u feed your turtles both of them eat and 1 of the turtles dosen't eat every thing wath the turtles eat if 1 hogs it all u may need to get a divider or a differnt tank to feed the other turtle in what r u feeding your turtles i feed mine floating stick that have every thing u neec in them get the ones with calcium if u get the stick my turtles love them and they r very healthy and happy hope your turtles like it good luck :P :) :|
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:51 am

Hello
i have RES to they are babys and are in a ten gallon tank the guy at the pet store said in about 5 years i will need to get a 70 to 100 gallon tank hope u have enogh money and space by then so your turtles are happy and healthy Razz good luck
The more room you can give them the better, but there is different things you can do when they get older, you may want an out side pond, or even one inside, you have plenty of time to tihink about that. hopefully you wiil get some ides for us
RESrule
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:01 pm

hi
RESrule
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:19 pm

don't listen to black_snapper he is a friend of mine and knows nothing about RES if they were breed in captivity then they dont' know how to hunt and besides i read that when they get older they start to like plants more than meat so don't release your turtles into the wild if u want them to live a long happy healthy life :P
newbie_turtle_owner
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:02 pm

oh i know i dont plan on letting them go,besides lol ohio ha i live in georgia and moving to virginia lol my husbands in the navy so lol yeah no way im near ohio anyways lol anyways thanks for the tips we got paid early so im ganna go and get them some stuff oh and their shells feel kinda soft what can i get for that? thanks again everyone. :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:16 pm

Just about all turtle babies have a soft spot right by their tail, it should get hard as they grow older, mine did, just make sure that the turtle food you get has a good source of calcium and have them a UV light. :D
poppyduce
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:58 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of turtles! :lol: :lol:
newbie_turtle_owner
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:31 pm

yay i got a tank for my turtles now i just got a 5 gal for now but they are very very small turtles still so i have a water heater and lights and a filter and basking stump and rocks on the bottom,they are very happy,so anyways thanks everyone !
RESrule
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:16 pm

your welcome i hope u and your turtle have a great friendship and i wish u good luck
Kory :) :D :P :P
newbie_turtle_owner
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:50 pm

i think they have been depressed lol because when i had them in the bowl they was just kinda blah and didnt do much or eat much from what i seen but now a day after i put them in their new tank they are swimming like crazy and eating and look soo much better soo im like really happy,like i said i got them from a friend of mines little brother who had them in a nasty smelling tank with like less than an inch of water and such so i thin all and all they are happy to be in a nice clean warm tank with food and light and warmth soo now they are soo much more active than before,i didnt know if they was going to make it there the last couple days before i was able to buy a tank. thanks to all for the tips and help if you have anymore tips ever just let me know thanks a bunch!
newbie_turtle_owner
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:53 pm

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:Just about all turtle babies have a soft spot right by their tail, it should get hard as they grow older, mine did, just make sure that the turtle food you get has a good source of calcium and have them a UV light. :D
thanks a bunch for that info i was freaking out trying to figure out what i needed to get to make their shells hard again,i didnt know baby turtles had soft spots kinda like baby baby do,thanks a bunch! :D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:46 am

You're welcome, glad I could help. :D
donna320
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:44 pm

I read that you should not have small gravel. I did notice my babies trying to eat it. I will have to take it all out. What should I put on the bottom of the tank? Also, They are not on their dock at all. Can anyone tell me what to do. I know they need to get out of the water some time. They are floating on some fake plants.
I am so new to this..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:28 am

Welcome :D

What is the water temp.? if it is too hot, they will have no reason for coming out of the water to bask and it will lead to shell problems, also if the basking light is too hot, they will probably burn themselves and either not bask or bask only a little while, they need to dry off completely, the water temp. should be between 75 and 78 deg. and the basking temp. should be 10 deg. hotter. :D
donna320
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:00 pm

I am looking for a good home for them, as I travel a lot and there will be no one to care for them the right way. If anyone knows where I can bring them or give them up to a good home, please let me know. I am in the Pocono's, Pa.
RESrule
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:20 pm

i would take them but i am in columbus,OH i hope u have found somebody or do find sombody to take them good luck :wink: :D :lol:
donna320
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:56 pm

I found a great home for them.My VET has a small zoo, and he took them.They have a turtle exhibit..Thanks guys for all your help.. :D
RESrule
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:00 pm

ur welcome
:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:12 am

Glad you found them a good home :D
RESrule
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:04 pm

me to be cause sometimes if they don't get a home they will be released into the wild not that u were going to but i don't think any turtle deserves that sad sad sad sad stuff :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Information