COMPLETE IDIOTS GUIDE...........

Discussions about turtles.
TURTLEGIRL2005
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:18 pm

HAS ANYONE READ "THE COMPLETE IDIOTS GUIDE TO TURTLES AND TORTOISES"?IT IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS TO READ FOR THE TURTLE ENTHUSIAST.I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND READING IT.IT IS AN AWESOME BOOK.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:13 pm

I don't know if I would recommend those types of books, they usually omit alot of the information that people require to be able to give their turtle a good life.

One of the better sites is http://www.anapsid.org/mainchelonians.html
Melissa Kaplan's site has alot of good information on turtles, plants, diseases, etc. and she has that site up for free,
Here is a sample of what she has to offer:
Information Clusters

Species:
Amphibians
Chelonians
Crocodilians
Cyclura
Green Iguanas
Invertebrates
Lizards
Snakes

Herp Care & Keeping:
Behavior
Captivity Issues
Clean/Disinfect
Conservation
Education
Food/Feeding
General Herpetology
Health
Humor
Pet Trade
Plants
Prey
Resources
For Kids
Parents & Teachers
Societies/Rescues
Using the Internet
Veterinarians
Zoonoses
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:39 pm

Is this one of those "For Dummies" books? If so, there are much better ones that that one.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:53 pm

UPDATE:

I found out a while after posting my previous message that Melissa Kaplan's site also has one of those "For Dummies" books that she wrote, so I guess not all of those books are limited. Her's was about Iguanas. :D

I found the site for the author of "Complete Idiot's Guide to Turtles & Tortoises" , she has quite a few books on training dogs and such:

http://www.lizpalika.com/
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:18 pm

I can't comment on MK's book on iguanas, she knows her stuff and much of her site is devoted to them. The Dummy book on turtles and tortoises, however, in comparison to a number of other books on the subject, has been found to be lacking and in some places inaccurate by a number of people who have turtles.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:01 am

Mariza,which good book would u refer? one who's not too complicated in term...thx in advance!
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:35 pm

they suck any way
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:46 pm

i don't know..

i think the best advice on any species you can get is from someone with hands on experience.. i.e. a vet or zookeeper..

sometimes the market doesn't always put out products that are the best for pets.. for example, i bought three hermit crabs, and the guy sold me some stupid plastic container and a bottle of crab food. he convinced me that's all the critters would ever need.

well i went online and researched it.. and they need everything from a heater, to higher humidity then turtles, and salt water.. i stil have them and take care of them

it's just sometimes they worry about getting the product sold and don't contain EVERYTHING you need to know..
  • Information