turtle dock owners

Discussions about turtles.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:20 pm

alright, i don't mean to go out and slander any product, because i don't have lawyers to back me up or anything... but..

i recently bought a turtle dock. it's maybe 3 weeks old.. IF that. it's the zoomeds turtle dock. i waited in the mail for it to come in sooooo eagerly.. and my turtles like it. when i wake up every morning, they're on it..

however i went to clean the tank tonight, and i've noticed that the bottom of it is extremely slimy.. and whatever material they made the dock out of (i think it's some sort of foam) has dry rotted.... i held the pegs that hold it up.. and it fell right off.

that's not really my main concern. my main issue is that there are turtle bites all over it.. i don't like the fact that the little buggers can chomp right through it. i don't think it's safe for them to be eating manufactured foam..

if you have this product, i'd just watch out. i'm not trying to cause a national turtle panic.. just a warning.

anywho, when i get my bigger set up.. i'm going to go with those plastic turtle basking areas.. i mean the turtle dock is a great product, it really is, but i just don't think it's that safe.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:22 pm

in order for the product to float, it has to be made out of the foam that it is made out of.

also, it is not uncommon at all for turtles to eat their turtle dock. i've had mine for almost a year now and my turtles don't eat it and it hasn't rotted or anything of the sort.

obviously the fact of your turtle eating it just has to do with your turtle's behavior and the rotting thing might have to do with the water and temperature situation you have.

my dock is still perfectly fine after almost a year. although, i will be upgrading when i get a larger tank to fiberglass.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:25 pm

rachelmarie wrote:in order for the product to float, it has to be made out of the foam that it is made out of.

also, it is not uncommon at all for turtles to eat their turtle dock. i've had mine for almost a year now and my turtles don't eat it and it hasn't rotted or anything of the sort.

obviously the fact of your turtle eating it just has to do with your turtle's behavior and the rotting thing might have to do with the water and temperature situation you have.

my dock is still perfectly fine after almost a year. although, i will be upgrading when i get a larger tank to fiberglass.
yea, that's what my sister said. i'm just worried about the little turds eating it and getting an impaction or something.

well the water temperature is between 73-80, it's not boiling and it's not fridgid. .:: shrugs ::. otherwise, i have no clue what's going on.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:56 am

it might be a manufacturing problem..why don't u tell them? there might be a warranty or something they could do..just act so serious about it and zoomed must do something to protect its brand name 8) (that's what we take in marketing :o )

but about ur babies biting it i wouldn't worry cz it is made for turtles and turtles are expected to bite on anything so the company probably took that into consideration and made it in a safety wa..are they swallowing it? i read once that someone's turtle was biting the plastic dock and the guys said that if it wasn't swallowing them then it's ok
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:25 pm

I have also had mine for about a year, I have only seen one of my turtles take a bite out of it, I read somewhere that when they do that it may be because they are trying to get calcium from it, maybe if you put some cuttlebone in the water they will chew on that instead, or maybe a turtle shaped conditioner, my turtles love that. :lol:
poppyduce
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:30 pm

My turtle dock was always slimy on the bottom too, and the coating stuff eventually came off from my cleaning it. They never took any bites out of it though, but I use the turtle conditioners too. My turtles got too big for the docks so I made my own. I set a large, tall, square tupperware container in the corner flat on the bottom of tank. No rocks under it. I filled the container full of pea gravel, which is easy to take out and clean if needed. I have large rocks on 2 sides of it so that they can get up out of the water and bask. I try to keep the water level about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the top of the "beach" to minimize the amout of water that my get into it. They can't tip it over, can't eat it, and the most they do is kick rocks out so every now and again I have to add a handful or two. And they seem to enjoy diving off of it more then they did the floating dock. I think cuz they can make a bigger splash when they hit the water!
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:57 am

dixieee wrote:it might be a manufacturing problem..why don't u tell them? there might be a warranty or something they could do..just act so serious about it and zoomed must do something to protect its brand name 8) (that's what we take in marketing :o )

but about ur babies biting it i wouldn't worry cz it is made for turtles and turtles are expected to bite on anything so the company probably took that into consideration and made it in a safety wa..are they swallowing it? i read once that someone's turtle was biting the plastic dock and the guys said that if it wasn't swallowing them then it's ok
it might be. it seems like the turtle dock dry rotted. :( you'r right, i'm going to have to check the box out and look for that. thanks for the idea! (lol i'm glad someone took a marketing class! :D)

well i have no idea if they're swallowing it or not :( but there's tons of turtle poopies in the water everytime i clean it.. :( i hope they're not swallowing it though
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:59 am

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:I have also had mine for about a year, I have only seen one of my turtles take a bite out of it, I read somewhere that when they do that it may be because they are trying to get calcium from it, maybe if you put some cuttlebone in the water they will chew on that instead, or maybe a turtle shaped conditioner, my turtles love that. :lol:
humm. i have the little turtle shaped conditioner in there, and a turtle shaped vitamin block. my little turtles just like to munch on anything.. especially pox.. my fiance bought them a bubbler to play with.. and she tried eating the ship.. :(
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:02 am

poppyduce wrote:My turtle dock was always slimy on the bottom too, and the coating stuff eventually came off from my cleaning it. They never took any bites out of it though, but I use the turtle conditioners too. My turtles got too big for the docks so I made my own. I set a large, tall, square tupperware container in the corner flat on the bottom of tank. No rocks under it. I filled the container full of pea gravel, which is easy to take out and clean if needed. I have large rocks on 2 sides of it so that they can get up out of the water and bask. I try to keep the water level about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the top of the "beach" to minimize the amout of water that my get into it. They can't tip it over, can't eat it, and the most they do is kick rocks out so every now and again I have to add a handful or two. And they seem to enjoy diving off of it more then they did the floating dock. I think cuz they can make a bigger splash when they hit the water!
the coating came off? that's not too good.. lol. humm. i use turtle conditioners too. my sis bought all that for them. that's pretty good idea, thank you :) LOL my mom sells tupperware.. so that won't be hard to get :D LOL! my turtles get fiesty and kick rocks too.. especially if i go to sleep too late.. they don't like the lights.. they'll start making noise in their tank and i'll turn the lights off lol. thank you for the idea, i'm definately going to have to use it. i dont' want the particles from the turtle dock to harm my babies.
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:37 am

It may be that there food has left a sent on the dock and that is why they are bitting it. I make my own floating Islands, they do have to be replaced after a while. the foam will break down after a while, but not usaly after a few weeks, I would check into it as well.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:26 am

VersteckterGeist wrote:it might be. it seems like the turtle dock dry rotted. :( you'r right, i'm going to have to check the box out and look for that. thanks for the idea! (lol i'm glad someone took a marketing class! :D)

well i have no idea if they're swallowing it or not :( but there's tons of turtle poopies in the water everytime i clean it.. :( i hope they're not swallowing it though
lol my marketing grades are all c+'s but i still know something about it :oops:

it's a good sign that u find some poop that means even if they're swallowing it it's not causing any problems
RES
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:25 pm

:!: Wow! That's so funny! My RES was biting his dock too! My reaction was to call him a little turd too!! The bottom is sometimes slimy & food gets stuck underneath it. He usually finds it later for a midnight snack, but that could be causing his water to get icky too!
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:41 pm

We were going to get a floating dock and we talked to someone at the pet store and he acutally said no! It was the one that had the suction cups on the back.. he said they don't work well at all, and THEY don't even use them in their tanks at the store! We ended up at Menard's (it's like Lowes or Home Depot) and for 50 CENTS!! we ended up with some pretty cool docks for them! We found a skid with broken stepping stones (the kind you would buy for your garden) and they sold us all the pieces for 50 cents! Just an idea though... they can't chomp down on it!
Here is a pic:

SUPERSTAR'S TANK (underneath the platform is a place for her to "burrow")

BUSTER BROWN'S PLATFORM (FILLED WITH RIVER ROCKS UNDERNEATH BECAUSE HE KEPT GETTING STUCK AND COULDN'T FIND HIS WAY OUT LOL)
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:38 pm

wow, that's a pretty tank sxbunny. that thing you have in there not only looks great, but it looks natural too!

i think i'm going to have to get one of those for my turds the next time they get a tank.

the turtle dock is ripping apart all over the place.. i have no idea what is causing it.. and i had to drill several holes in it already. it's all slimy and nasty.. and even the snail in the tank won't go on it.. now you know there's a problem lol. (the snail used to climb under it and stick it's air tube out of the tank.. but now it won't go near the dock)

ugh. picky turds.. picky snails.. :roll:
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:42 am

That's my kind of thinking..........
and shopping...LOL
Your tank looks Asume, Very Natural.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:03 am

Yeah, great setup, I like how the stepping stones look. :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:16 am

yeah that's a great idea and it looks nice..i use a brick for my babies but i'm changing it soon..i'm thinking of getting them the bookshelf deviders (the L-shaped ones) but i still like bricks more..i wanted to get that one for a change but u know those bricks with big holes? they can use them as caves too and they look good
julscards

Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:14 pm

I actually asked the same question this morning about my turtle eating his floating dock. Turns out it is the same brand. I only had it for about 2 months, but whatever it is made of is very sandy and it clogged my filter. I tried bricks and she wants nothing to do with them, she is quite large shell is 7 plus inches long. I finally got a plastic dock but she has not taken to it much, I have tried many things for her to bask but have not had much sucess, piled rocks or stones but she moves them. Let me know if you find something because the plastic dock is really not large enough.
Kitty
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:22 am

Let me know if you find something because the plastic dock is really not large enough.
Try Drift wood, you can use suction cups to hold it in place,
just drill a small hole in the drift wood, and put the little plastic
knobby on the back of the suction cup, in the hole.
You can glue it in place with fish tank sealer (silacone)
for larger turtles, attach at least two side of the wood to the tank.
OR just shove some wood in at an angle ...lol
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:54 pm

that's a really good idea. i found a huge res the other day on the highway, and we have him in a big tupperware container (it's long and flat.. the ones that slide under the bed) anywho, he won't bask on the little platform we have. finky big guy.. i think i'm going to try your brick idea.

your tank is just really pretty. i love the tones and everything in it! sxbunny.. you've got to live in the south to have a menards huh? lol
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:50 pm

u can't keep changing the basking area and expect him/her to use it quickly..remember that turtles take time to get used to something so give them some time to try it :)
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:12 pm

VersteckterGeist wrote:you've got to live in the south to have a menards huh? lol
lol. I live in Indiana.. but yea I think Menards is a midwest thing... Never heard of the place till I moved out here (from CA)... now I just can't get enough of the place!! lol

And yea, it did take a few days for my turtles to actually WANT to go up the rock.. now they LOVE it up there.. sometimes I freak out because I think they might be basking TOO much! HA~

PS.. Thanks for the comp. on the tank... I love it too.. can't wait till I get the 55 gal. going (right now its being held hostage by some "lucky" goldfish)
TallysMom
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:31 pm

I'm coming late to this discussion but I thought I would add my 2 cents in case anyone wanted more info on dock-eating -- my turtle came with her already-broken-in dock, and she was indeed gnawing on it.

Warning: this gets a little gross.

I saw the fragments in the water but didn't realize she was also eating the bits until after she threw up her dinner one day -- I thought I had just overfed her because it is fun to see her eat so enthusiastically, but the next day I noticed an odd stone-shaped thing in the tank.

It was about the size of one of her river rocks but it was open on the side, and seemed like a membrane around a collection of whitish gravel. Well, you guessed it -- I think eating the raft clogged her up for a while. She passed one more of those funny turds a bit later on, and then she was ready to eat again.

Needless to say, that raft was out of there within the hour, and she now has a nice stack of rocks to climb up and bask on.

I feel lucky that she didn't get a permanent impaction or something -- eating that raft was definitely not good for her.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:45 am

Thanks for the update, I am glad your turtle is doing better. :D
Robin_Luver13

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:25 am

i just got a dock for robin yesterday... i dont think it was zoomeds, but im not sure... i went to check the box but... Why did today have to be recycling?!?!?! :roll: ... im almost positive it the like, tetra brand or whatever its called... its the kind that slopes down for easy access... my neighbor has had one for a while and i dont think shes had a problem... my problem is he keeps trying to swim up to the glass but cant swim over cause he gets stuck on the poles... lol :lol: ...
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:15 pm

my turtles recently started chomping on their dock. :x The little turds are trying to eat me out of house and home :wink:
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:14 pm

so what is the consensus? i was going to try two medium docks for my monsters but fear that they may be too big for the docks.. i was going to try getting 2 docks to somewhat seperate them in the tank... would give them each somewhere to chill.. right now they are still seperated because the little jerk keeps going after her.. for those that don't know.. i have 2 turtles that are 7 and 8 inches in length.. figured the medium ramp (7x15.5 inches) would work.. lemme know what you guys think.. im almost to the point where i need to take them to a zoo or something.. they are just so big that i really don't know what to do.. i see everyone with small turtles and with their 40 gallon tanks and think about how ridiculus my guys are.. lol.. 20+ years of life is nice :D
GettoSmurf
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:09 pm

don't go with a dock, go with something natural like driftwood,OR like the broken stepping tile, the docks look like plastic and they decay over a while, overalll they are just unatractive to the eye.
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:14 pm

purplem3pursuit wrote: i was going to try getting 2 docks to somewhat seperate them in the tank... would give them each somewhere to chill.. right now they are still seperated because the little jerk keeps going after her.. :D
I have two turtles that are VERY different in size. One is about the size of a silver dollar, and the other is about 4 -5 inches.. They reside together in the same 55 gallon tank peacefully, but not after a long proccess. I have them in seperate tanks, but they were butted together, so they could see each other. They thought they shared the tank because they could see inside each others, and eventually got used to each others company. Also, when I put the big tank together for them both, I put in two docks... yea, thinking "one for each of them".. well guess what? They share the same stinking one!! I NEVER see them on different docks!! The little one actually gets "rides" from the other one on his back.. lol . Oh and my docks are from broken stepping stones... SOO much cheaper and durable!
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:49 pm

hmm.. where do you guys pick up the drift wood and such.. im trying to utilize all of my 75 gallon tank.. i mean fill it all with water etc.. if u want to see what im working with check my update in the tank setup sections.. i ust want them to be together again.. the rubber made container is making the little guy unhappy.. although.. im starting to come to the realization that i may not be able to give them the necessary space to live.. i know u are all thinking that im crazy.. but having two 7-8 inch full grown turtles is tough.. i just don't know what they want? just today i saw a pair of RES's sitting outside in a tank.. the owner apparently wants them to get natural light.. good and all but what about the heat? i almost took the tank with me and basically ganked them to give them the proper care.. hmm.. what to do what to do.. someone hook me up with a link for stuff like this.. i can see myself building a habitat for them in my house.. 2x4s and a plastic tub.. then some other stuff on the surround..should be plenty for them.. and maybe even cheaper than a tank.. argh..
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:59 pm

VersteckterGeist wrote:that's a really good idea. <b>i found a huge res the other day on the highway, and we have him in a big tupperware container (it's long and flat.. the ones that slide under the bed) anywho, he won't bask on the little platform we have. finky big guy.. i think i'm going to try your brick idea.</b>

your tank is just really pretty. i love the tones and everything in it! sxbunny.. you've got to live in the south to have a menards huh? lol
i'm hoping since you've made this post .. you've released this poor turtle back into the wild. a turtle that old has lived in the wild for years and years. why would you want to take him away from that freedom?
Smashdance
Level 1
Level 1

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:43 pm

Well, I'm glad so many other turtles are doing this. Well, not glad, I just don't feel so alone now! My Bob and Chloe had their docks for a while before they started knawing on them. I wasn't sure if they were ingesting the foam, but I didn't want to take chances. I bought them a little "Flintstones House". It's made out of ceramic which they can't eat, and when I give them the feeder fish, it helps to save some of the fish for later. Plus, it's EXTREMELY fun to watch them try to figure out how to get the fish out of the house! :D :D :lol:
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:16 pm

rachelmarie wrote:
VersteckterGeist wrote:that's a really good idea. <b>i found a huge res the other day on the highway, and we have him in a big tupperware container (it's long and flat.. the ones that slide under the bed) anywho, he won't bask on the little platform we have. finky big guy.. i think i'm going to try your brick idea.</b>

i'm hoping since you've made this post .. you've released this poor turtle back into the wild. a turtle that old has lived in the wild for years and years. why would you want to take him away from that freedom?
yea, there was another post somewhere about me releasing him. i even posted a picture of his new home. it is a much better place then a highway, has female RES's (whoo woo for him), and plenty of water for him to swim around.
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:19 pm

speaking of turtle docks..

i think zoomeds makes another product called a turtle log.. or something to that effect. it looks like a hallowed out log and it has three baby turtles swiming in and around it on the box.

i never bought it yet, but i thought about it.

my little ones never really got used to the acrylic turtle deck, so i was thinking about getting them another toy to play on.

does anyone have one? or know if they dissolve in the water like the turtle docks?
  • Information