New turtle owner question?

Discussions about turtles.
therealleigh

Mon May 09, 2005 8:36 pm

Getting near the end of the school year and classes start getting rid of classroom pets. Well my daughter won her classes two turtles. She brought them home today.

From surfing the net they are red eared sliders. They are the size of a silver dollar. The habitat they sent them home in is a plastic bowl with an island in the middle. They also sent home Tetra Reptomin, Yardley reptile sticks and Turtle vita shell.

After reading through some posts I feel the habitat is an injustice to the poor things. They are constantly getting on top on one another thinking they can get out. My question is how long can they survive in this plastic turtle bowl? I am just worried that they need the light etc. It will be two weeks before we can purchase an aquarium with additional supplies. I know they have survived this long at the school.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Leigh
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Mon May 09, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi Leigh, Welcome to Allturtles!

I'm afraid that your hatchlings cannot be kept in the bowl for long. That type of bowl is given a nickname that describes it very well-Death-Bowls.

Eventually in about a year the two of them will need a 90 gallon plus. You can start saving up for that. For now it'll be good to get either a 20 gallon long or a 29 gallon. These cost anywhere from $20-40. You'll also need the following:
A Filter for the size tank you have, maybe even stronger.
A heater to keep the water at 78 degrees
Gravel and Fake Plants for them to hide in
A Basking spot (You can buy these for $15 and they are great quality.)
A UV light to provide UV rays
ASpot light to get the basking area in the 90's
and food
These are the bare minimuns for now. You need to save up for a 90 gallon+ tank and all its supplies if you want to keep the turtles. They are cute but they are also a big commitment. Please feel free to ask any questions.
therealleigh

Mon May 09, 2005 9:03 pm

I pray they can make it two more weeks. I know they have lived in the death bowl at the school for a bit. We are going to keep them and keep them properly. I used to keep a 50 gallon salt tank for over 10 years. I am going to go to price tanks this weekend.

How big will they be in a year to require a 90 gallon? Just wondering. I am still reading up on them. I had no idea about the proper care for turtles. I am going to the school tomorrow to educate the teacher about them.

Thanks for the information. Anything else ya'll think I should know please post it.

Leigh
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Mon May 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Red ear sliders grow pretty fast. Your best bet is to buy the biggest tank possible that way you won't have to upgrade later. The rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water for every inch of turtles. I have two red ear sliders that are about 8inches between the two of them. I have them in a 30 gallon tank right now. They were in a 75 gallon, but my cat lunged at the tank and cracked it. Good luck!
Last edited by toxiceagle2007 on Mon May 09, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Mon May 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi,

I think they'll be fine in the Death Bowl for two weeks, just let them out to exercise every now and thena nd make sure the water is crystal clear and clean. This means 100% water changes every day. Also try to get them a reptile light, it costs $4 at WalMart.
The first year is the year where the hatchlings grow the fastest. They should get much bigger compared to their size right now by the end of the year. Hope this has helped!
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Mon May 09, 2005 10:37 pm

as soon as you get them setup in a bigger tank with everything that they will need, they will start to grow rapidly. when turtles are healthy, they will grow very fast. the reason that the turtles are still small right now is because they are in this tiny bowl.

two weeks will not be a problem for them. like you said: they've gone this long!

thanks for being a rescuer!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Tue May 10, 2005 6:32 am

welcome to the board:)

well they can survive for some time in that death bowl but u can also put them in a bigger container, maybe a rubbermaid if u have one..fill it with water and try keeping it warm until u get the filters and heaters..it'll sound difficult at first but u'll get used to it and then u'll like the turtles more and become attached to them..read the care sheets in this site and do more research cz u sound like a good owner, u started the right way :)

good luck and keep us posted

btw, welcome back willie..nice to see u again :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue May 10, 2005 10:54 am

therealleigh
The habitat they sent them home in is a plastic bowl with an island in the middle. They also sent home Tetra Reptomin, Yardley reptile sticks and Turtle vita shell.
Welcome to the board, It is just shocking to know that the institution that is supposed to be teaching our children(for those who have them) about the world around them, does not take the time to learn themselves about the creatures they are keeping as pets, if they take a pet in they should take the responsibility that goes along with it, learn as much as possible about the animal and it's natural environment, I hope that they will wise up someday.

I am glad to see that you care enough about your turtles to have come to this board to learn as much as possible to give them the best care that you can, I for one applaud you :P :P

Hey Willie :D , nice to see you again.
therealleigh

Wed May 11, 2005 7:29 pm

Thanks for all the help. We love animals and I would always learn everything I can about one we receive. I did get a long flat rubbermaid container and piled up gravel on one side then sloping into water. I am keeping them in the warmest part of the house for now. Less than two weeks now we will have them a better habitat.

I agree about the school. I went and talked to the principal and he agreed with me. The class was learning about pond life and the teacher purchased the turtles. I spoke with her also. She had no idea. (They were studying pond life seems she should have gotten an idea from that).

Thanks again. I will keep you posted on them.

Leigh
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed May 11, 2005 10:41 pm

You are welcome, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu May 12, 2005 4:37 am

great! :) good they are in safe hands now, lucky turtles :D
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

Fri May 13, 2005 6:14 pm

i hate to say this.. but you should also bring this to the school's board of health..

turtles smaller then 4 inches are considered dangerous, especially to SMALL CHILDREN because they harbor salmonella...

you're teacher was putting the turtles and the children at an unnecessary risk...
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri May 13, 2005 8:02 pm

That is not necessarily right, I read that alot of animals carry the salmonella virus, including dogs and cats, I will have to search for the article but I will try to find it.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat May 14, 2005 10:03 am

i agree, they all carry salmonella and it's not that serious if u know how to prevent it wether it is a big turtle or a hatchling..the 4-inch rule applies only if it's for commercial use..when it comes to education and research, it is ok..
  • Information