human colds

Discussions about turtles.
flarkin

Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:54 pm

Does anyone know if my turtle could catch a cold/flu from humans? I afraid to get close to him as I have the flu.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:35 pm

I haven't heard about that anywhere, but just the same, I wouldn't handle them while you have the cold. :)
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Sun May 01, 2005 2:13 am

As a bio student, it is very unlike that two different species would be susceptible to the same bacteria or virus. So you shouldn't be able to get each other sick. But its always safe to wash hands before and after handling the turtles. It is possible that they can carry samonella if they aren't housed in good conditions.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun May 01, 2005 9:37 am

different opinions hmmm..i wouldn't get stuck with a bio student but i believe they do from a personal experience..i had a cold last October and the turtle i handled a lot got it from me..he was sick for a week and had the symptoms of "turtle cold"..so be careful with them
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Tue May 03, 2005 4:52 pm

dogs -> humans .. happens very easily.

mosquitos -> humans, again .. very easily. as well as ticks and fleas. yea, a bite is required in those cases and they are mostly just carriers .. but it is still the same disease. yellow fever, eastern equine encephalitis, the plaque.

rabies .. again ..

scrapie? mad cow disease? the human form is kuru and cjd. granted kuru is from eating human brains, so it only used to be spread in countries that practiced cannibalism.

it is very possible your turtle could get your cold.

i hope my doctor at least knows that much. :wink:
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Tue May 03, 2005 10:05 pm

I looked up a few websites and a book, and they all said that colds are interchangeable.
  • Information