Advice needed!

Discussions about turtles.
flarkin

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:44 pm

I have my \"Petey\" the turtle for 1 year. I had purchased this red ear slider with another turtle who died weeks later of pneumonia. I was so upset that I was afraid to bring home another turtle. It\'s one year later & I still have people telling me that my turtle needs a companion.
Does anyone think it is a good idea to bring home another turtle? I would of couse introduce them slowly & keep them separted for awhile but if it doesn\'t work out, I\'ll be upset. I\'d like to hear from you. THANKS!
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:15 am

The same thing happened to me. We started out with two, one died. We recently got another one,(almost a year later) maybe I was just lucky but the two are getting along just fine. After the new one\'s adjustment they are basking together on the rocks, sometimes sitting on top of each other. I do have to watch them when they eat. The older one is faster when it comes to eating. The new one takes his time.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:37 am

I posted at one time that someone said that turtles are not very social, but could not find any reference as to which turtle was asked:D:D

The turtles may get along during their young years, but I figure that as they get older and bigger, they may start competing against the other for territory, I have two of my own so I will have to face the same thing. I have already seen one of my turtles bite the other, but it was because the other was trying to do the mating dance with it.
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:38 am

One of my turtles is older than the others, too, and like jackietwo\'s situation, eats faster than the younger ones. I\'ve helped make sure all 3 of mine get food by putting food in different areas of the tank during feeding time, so each one can find a spot of food and not have to compete too much with the others for food.
Last edited by fsn77 on Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:47 pm

i had the same \"story\" too..i got 2 RES\'s and after a couple of months one passed away..the girl was already being agressive to him so i had to seperate them in his last days..few weeks later, my friend got me a baby turtle and i put him with the older one..she liked him although she was about 2x his size..she is much bigger than him now and although she attacks in feeding times, she seems to like him and there\'s no problem for them being together:)

if u want my advice then get a YBS cz RES\'s get along with them better than ones from their same species..and u won\'t have to worry about the YBS cz they are very friendly

good luck anyways and keep us posted:)
Jackietwo
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:12 pm

Maybe that\'s why mine are getting along. The new one has a goldish/brown strip behind its ear and the shell color is more bluegreen. The older one has the red and shell color is more yellowgreen. I guess we did get lucky.
flarkin

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:09 pm

dixieee wrote:
i had the same \"story\" too..i got 2 RES\'s and after a couple of months one passed away..the girl was already being agressive to him so i had to seperate them in his last days..few weeks later, my friend got me a baby turtle and i put him with the older one..she liked him although she was about 2x his size..she is much bigger than him now and although she attacks in feeding times, she seems to like him and there\'s no problem for them being together:)

if u want my advice then get a YBS cz RES\'s get along with them better than ones from their same species..and u won\'t have to worry about the YBS cz they are very friendly

flarkin

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:11 pm

dixieee wrote:

flarkin

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice...I\'m going to get another turtle...& I will keep an eye on them when feeding.Please refresh my memory..what is the \"YBS\" species???
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:19 pm

Yellow Bellied Slider:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:39 pm

yes:)

and btw, yellow stripes are also considered a RES right? yellow-bellies don\'t have any stripes on the ears:)
  • Information