turtle climbing glass

Discussions about turtles.
skippysmom
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:39 pm

Our 4 month old RES has been trying to climb the glass of the tank. He(she?) is also digging in the gravel, pulling up the artificial plants and even dislodged the heater from the side of the tank. Any thoughts?
Metallica
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:50 pm

well my 10 year old turtle is doing the same thing. She wakes up and boom digs under the pump, moves rocks, kicks around the heater and also swims upward like she is trying to get out. She also climbs the rock and looks at the top of the tank to climb out. This is the first time in a few years she has been this out of control. 3 years back she actualy did climb out if the tank twice! I took her to the vet and they assume she is just acting up because it is spring. Most likely you have a girl turtle!

A question for you...does your turtle not want to eat that much also?
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:45 pm

RESs tend to be a bit destructive. Mine are always uprooting their plants and knocking loose their heater. There isn\'t really much you can do about that. I do have plants that are fixed to rocks (you can buy them that way in pet stores).

My two RESs try to climb up the glass when they are begging for food. Maybe yours is doing the same. Just make sure you don\'t give into the begging all the time. You\'d end up with a fat turtle!!! hehehe
skippysmom
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:31 pm

Thanks,although the glass he/she is trying to climb is in the back of the tank, away from us. Whenever Skippy is begging for food he does what we call the feed me dance at the glass where we are standing. He swims really fast up towards the glass and then treads water really fast at the glass. I\'m glad to hear that he is \"normal\". It just was strange that this behavior started all of a sudden this week.
skippysmom
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:33 pm

I just realized I didn\'t answer the question you posted back. He seems to be eating fine. He will even take it directly from our hands. He comes up out of the water to take a reptomin stick out of our fingers.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:11 am

When you were describing your turtle\'s behaviour, you were really describing just about all our turtles\' behaviour, mine do that feeding frenzy dance, just about anytime I come close to the glass, it is very hard not to give in to that cute dance, what parent wouldn\'t feed their hungry child(turtle), but be careful, because they will play on your emotions to get their food.:D:D
  • Information