How could my turtles died that quick

Discussions about turtles.
Xor Stance

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:53 pm

I remember I had my first turtles when I had
11 years old. A baby red ear slider and a brazilian turtle very beautiful, at that time I thought turtles where easy pets to take care. I bother the baby so much and he never calm down, and never eat anything of being afraid. He died about like 3 months, then I put on bask my Brazilian turtle, once
it almost died up that time, 2 hours of sunlight in a little plastic tank, then the other day I put it on bask again and I completely forgot, and died up roasted like 3 hours. I started to felf sorry about my turtles, then I got one ear slider, I never
scare it or did anything bad. He always follow my hand if I had food, I gave him scales for fishes at that time. Almost around a year alive, once I started to put farther and farther away the food, until his neck got stretch; I cried. He died later in around 2 hours. Almost the lasy turtles I had, male and female; because it\'s shell looked different or it could be subspecie. I took care well, it dure me about 1 year and a half, I needed to go to school and I was basking it, I told her to put water so they wouldn\'t roast up. My maiden forgot and died up.

My last ones, last year I bought my male and female looked different, one with a rounded shell and the other one with oval shape and kinda like spikes were growing because were I bought it, they put it with ultraviolet-rays.

It\'s kinda like a weird, like 4 years ago
only rounded shell they sold until my last two turtle parties.

My last ones, I decided before I bought it.
That they were going to survive and I was going to breed them or give to someone they could, until they grow big enough. They were the strongest turtles I had, I put them to swim a lot time, not bask that much,
they were growing a lot stronger.

Until today, basks from the past; it was put it with transparent plastic, but I didn\'t knew about it today. I put them in a buckle to bask them, the buckle was not that much transparent, I just put them about
40 minutes after I eat Mcdonalds, they died up. Like 20 minutes ago, I went to check the they died up. I hate but, I don\'t think
I\'m going to buy other turtles for now, so how many turtles are dead of my care?
8 I know that read ear sliders and non the braziliant turtles(the most I like) are in danger of extinction but I don\'t know about the braizilian turtles. All I know, my uncle expert of having an aquarium for almost 20 years told they were from Brasil.
But now, it hasn\'t come to market for almost
3 years, I wish to have this kind of turtles. In my opinion, they look like the
Galapagos turtles but in small, it could endure for 2 hours of basking, swim, and very intelligent. The red ear slider is that they don\'t support that much sunlight.

I know that the most used to sunlight are the \"desert tortoise\".

I hope you guys are breeding well the turtles, I want their population to grow.

One question, if I buy other red easr sliders and they grow after 8 years and if I release them I\'m on a tropical climate,
can they survive? There\'re not crocodile in this area and other kind of turtles like my brasilian one. Here we have the turtle of mud, they call it here, is this specie in danger? I heard that in the markets this turtles are sold and eaten.

Take care.
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:54 pm

In nearly every place that I\'ve lived, it is against the law to release pets into the wild. If you\'re from an area where red ear sliders are native, it would still typically be considered a bad idea. There\'s all kinds of ecological reasons, but I\'ll stick to the ones specific to a pet. Any pet gets use to being given food, and knows where / when to find it. If you release a pet into the wild, it is likely to be at a severe disadvantage compared to an animal that has always lived in the wild, in terms of finding food, shelter, and avoiding predators. Instincts could kick in at some point, but I wouldn\'t count on it, considering that most pet turtles are captive bred and very removed from anything ressembling nature. Basically, if you don\'t think you can keep an animal until it dies and take good care of it, it\'s probably a better idea that you don\'t get one.
Xor Stance

Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:46 pm

Yeah definitely, from where I bought it, they sell most turtles but none in here knows how to breed them or do they care.
Only one of all imported turtlers red ear sliders, only females come or maybe I couldn\'t know but the ones I saw and bought had a completely different shape shell.
I don\'t know maybe someone here had breed it, maybe expert and profesisonals mostly I guess or in zoos and laboratories.

That\'s the problem for having it in captive,
instinct may appear but if for generation it stay in captive, they won\'t be able to be release to the wild or it may take a lot of time for them to use to the wild environment. Like some horses in North America that years ago were sent by the Spanish and then some were able to escape to the wild. Maybe instinct will appear if they had grow there after they hatched from eggs directly to the river or lake, etc.

I guess for now, I wouldn\'t have a red ear slider; the only one that\'s coming now.
Maybe if I have one, I will be more careful so it won\'t died up.
Xor Stance

Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:11 pm

Today I search over the internet that red ear sliders in Lousiana due to to their exportation are threaten and in Europe are in danger of extinction, due to native wildlife competition. Do you think they\'re a such nations to protect them? In this areas, I feel kinda like bad, just I need some hope to be motivated.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:55 am

welcome to the board,,

just an answer to ur Q,,i don\'t think that red eared sliders (RES\'s) are endangered cz they are the most popular pet turtles and many ppl breed them
  • Information