cleaning the tank

Discussions about turtles.
machen423
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:49 am

i was just curious about the way other people clean out their tanks....it seems that it takjes me almost 3 hours to fully clean my tank out and it\'s only a 20 gallon....soon i will be moving back to illinois where the turts will be getting a brand new 100 gallon tank so i figured i should see if anyone has some time saving tips for cleaning tanks
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:44 am

I use one of those gravel suction things to suck out most of the water and then use it to vaccum the gravel too. I change rocks about once per month. Not using any gravel is a good option because gravel traps a lot of dirt. Getting a really good filter will help with the cleaning.

I wish I had a 100 gallon tank, I\'m jealous! ;)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:58 pm

I went to Lowes lumberyard and got some clear tubing, about 1/2 inch inside diameter, almost the size of a finger, I then cut the hose to about 4 foot, enough to bend into the tank and have enough to be able to direct the water into a bucket, before I start I go to the sink and hold one end up to the faucet and the other end into the sink, as soon as I see water coming out the other end with no bubbles, I put my finger on both ends to keep the water from coming out, I then take it to the tank and put one end in the tank and then uncover that end and point the other end towards the bucket, when I am ready I let the bucket end go and it starts draining water, after that, it is just a matter of pointing the tank end at where you want to vacuume. I usually take about half an hour to vacuume out the water, and that is with preparations:D:D
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:40 pm

3 hours... yikes! That\'s a long time... Buy a gravel vacuum (or build your own) like the others said. It\'ll save you a ton of time, and you won\'t have to physically handle all of the gravel, nor completely disassemble your tank (which it sounds like you\'re doing). I spend less than a 1/2 hour cleaning my 40 gallon tank, but I do put new water in buckets at least a day in advance to reduce the chances of any temperature shock.

Good luck with the new 100 gallon--I\'m jealous, too...
smokinall4s
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:07 am

I have a 35gl long tank and it takes me about 2hrs start to finish, from setup to clean-up. I use a gravel cleaner also. I first take the filter, heater, climbing log, and rock slates from basking area and clean them first. Then I drain the water from the tank but I keep some for the turtles to stay in while I clean the tank. I then clean the tank and then I put the filter, etc back in the tank. I then add water (plus water treatment stuff, chlorine). I then put the turtles back in. The water is usually a little bit warmer just so they dont get a shock due to temp.

My clean-up takes almost an hour because I have kids and because I live in an apartment I have to wash the turtles in my kitchen sink. I over disinfect the kitchen sink and counter top. I also disinfect the outside of the tank by wiping it down and then drying it. I can\'t wait to get a house so that I don\'t have to use the sink but I have no where else to do it. So I go overboard on the cleanup, better safe than sorry.

I\'m upgrading soon to a 75gl or 95gl long tank, can\'t wait.

I hope this helps. L8R
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:53 am

lucky turtles u got!

i have a small rubbermaid and it takes me about 15 minutes cleaning it (really well)
  • Information