Question

Discussions about turtles.
Nik54545
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I\'m new here and have been thinking about getting a pet turtle. I want to know everything before I make that commitment though. I was reading and it seems that they get large...(obviously, look at wild turtles)...but my question is...how quickly do they grow??? I remember when I was a kid, my friend\'s mother had 3 turtles and they never really seemed to grow. Any help and advice would be greatly aprreciated.
~Nikki~
xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

nik.....it all matters on how much u feed them and there lighting, i\'ve had mine for 2 years and they have only grown 3 inches
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

What kind of turtle are you wanting to get, If I knew this, I could do some searches and find info on the turtle for you.:D

Welcome to allturtles by the way:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board nikki:)
am really so proud of people like u who take things seriously before getting themselves into a commitment..
anyways the turtle size depends on it\'s species..one thing which is common is that most turtles reach 12-16\" when they are fully grown so check how it suits u..remember that they can live between 20-40 years so u can know how much they grow/year
Nik54545
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry about that! I forgot to mention what kind I was looking at...I was looking at getting a red ear slider. I figured that right now, he/she\'d be kinda small...but as they get larger, my fiance said that when we get a house, he\'d build me a pond of sorts...we\'ve been researching that as well and it looks like fun. I\'m really excited to get one but I\'m making sure I do my research. I see so many people on my lab board (labrador retriever) that don\'t do the research and then just get rid of the animal...its gross. So I\'d like to be informed. Thanks for the welcome and any help you can give!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

If you are thinking about eventually getting a pond, you might want to check out the \"turtles outdoor setup\" section, I posted a link to \"The pond Professor\" among other links about ponds to give you an idea of what you might want to end up with.:D

If you have any specific questions about the turtle you want to get just ask away and one of us will find the answer for you.
Nik54545
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks I appreciate it!
Nik54545
Level 1
Level 1

And actually...I was thinking that he may be building me something inside...something with a fountain of sorts...He\'s spoiling me on this one because I\'ve wanted something like this for a while...I love fountains and he was thinking that it might be a neat, pretty way to incorporate it...we\'ll see...its a long way off yet so who knows what will happen.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That sounds really nice, indoor fountain/turtle setup:D, take alot of pictures:D:D
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

WELCOME TO THE BOARD,Nik....I`m Godlinked....i`m happy to have seen that u are making this commitment....Not many do so...u are going to need as much help from thi turtle family here in allturtles.com.....ask as much as u can to find out and we`ll assist u in every possible way.....i think that u wanting to rear RESs is a good Idea cuz most of us are rearing the same species....Keep Up The Good Work ok
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes we\'re all RES owners:D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Most of us:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

the \"elite crew\" at least:D
Nik54545
Level 1
Level 1

The elite crew huh??? When do I get my name badge?!? ;)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol..u can have one right away
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Just as soon as we get ours:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

no need for a name badge..everyone can tell who we are:D