To Hibernate or Not To Hibernate?

Discussions about turtles.
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:52 pm

Hello everyone! Just found this place today, and I must say that I think it\'s great.

I\'m not new at keeping turtles, but I don\'t consider myself to be an expert by any means.

Does anyone allow their indoor turtle to hibernate for the winter? I\'ve read conflicting opinions and have never done it myself.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:15 pm

If the weather is too unpredictable in your area, I would not allow them to hibernate, keep in mind that when they get ready to hibernate they will stop eating and lose interest in just about everything, and if the climate is too unpredictable, they may starve to death, mine are pretty small, so I don\'t think that I will allow them to hibernate, I am not confident enough, even with all I have read, to let them do it.

Anyway I am sure somebody has hibernated them and will have something to say. Good luck and Welcome to allturtles:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:37 pm

welcome to the board:)
i read somewhere about indoor hibernation so seem that it exists..r u planning to hibernate urs? isn\'t it a bit late now?
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:56 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

I\'m not planning to hibernate any of my turtles (1 painted turtle, 2 r.e.s.), but was curious if anyone on the board does so with great success. I haven\'t done so in the past, and figure that I\'m better off if I don\'t try. I\'ve had the painted turtle for several years now (I think it\'ll be 7 years next June) and have always thought it was safer for me to keep him warm and active year round. The r.e.s. are still quite small (got them a year ago October) and I plan to keep them warm and active, too. I also read about an indoor hibernation technique, but don\'t think I can replicate the conditions discussed in that particular article.

This year for sure, conditions here in SC are too unstable for hibernation. Daytime and nighttime temps have been all over the place--we\'ll have 2 days with highs in the 50s and then the next 3 we\'ll barely make it into the 40s. It\'s been a odd December for us weather-wise.

It would be late to hibernate them now, at least in my opinion, considering that it\'s the end of December.

Thanks!
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:29 am

i think hibernate turtle inside is a big complicated think to do,and i think people with no experience in it should not try it...it\'s likely that something wrong can happen and u end-up with a dead turtle...if it\'s the last hope to save the turtle,better to try then nothing but if it\'s not necessary why take the chance...
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:20 am

In case you want to read up on hibernation, here is a link to hibernating your turtle in a refrigerator: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Refrigerator.htm

On your left side of that article, click on \"articles\" and go down until you see this:

Hibernation

The topic of hibernation often causes a lot of concern. In this section, we have gathered together some of the best articles on the subject from the past 20 years of the Tortoise Trust Newsletter!

The Correct Way to Measure Tortoises (Jackson Ratio)

Safer Hibernation & Your Tortoise - Comprehensive guide

Post-hibernation problems in Mediterranean tortoises

Refrigerator Hibernation for Tortoises & Turtles

Preparing for hibernation: fasting period

Hibernating Juvenile Tortoises

Refrigerator Hibernation Data with graphs

Waking up from Hibernation - Essential Info!

Autumn/fall feeding behaviour - UK & N. Europe

18 Essential Hibernation Hints

Outdoor (Natural) Hibernation

Overwintering Tortoises

Enjoy:D
  • Information