clear water but smelly

Discussions about turtles.
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:12 pm

I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 2 res in it. I have a fluval 204 filter that sits outside tank. The water is only half full but even though water stays clear after 1-2 days after cleaning get a slight \"turtle smell\" no gravel on bottom. has anyone totally eliminated the turtle smell? how did you do it. special drops, algae eating fish?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:19 pm

i don\'t know if algae eaters help eliminate the problem,,i never had such a thing except when i don\'t change the water
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:05 pm

I don\'t think they can help with the smell, they might help with the left over food from your turtles and fish, although I wouldn\'t know, my plecos died the day after I bought them, Oh well, six bucks down the drain:(, anybody know what I might have done wrong, my rosey red guppies are doing fine, always active, so what might have happened, they started eating as soon as they got in the tank so food wasn\'t the problem. Any comments are welcome. :D
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:25 pm

maybe your turtle wanted to play and sceard them to death or maybe you introduceds them to the water to fast or it could have just been the new condition my catfish is still alive athough the guppies went about a week after i got them the cat fish is only alive because he hides under the rocks were my turtle cant get him as for the smell water i sorta get that to but i put it down to the rocks they wernt used for a while then i washed them and they stunk for a while so i think the smell is that
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:41 pm

I don\'t think it was because I put them in too soon, I left the bag floating in the water about 10 minutes, I think you are supposed to leave them for at least five, and when they came out they kinda swam around and then went right to eating, then the next day (+RIP+).:(
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:18 pm

Alge eaters are the things that suck face to the side of your tank right.
I think....
Maybe your tank was too clean for them and they didn\'t have anything to eat.

As for the smelly tank, I think I had that too. It could be your filter smelling that way. Try rinsing your filter more often with hot water. That might be where it is coming from.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:12 pm

Don\'t rinse your filter with just any water, make sure you rinse it with tank water, and all you have to do is claer off the filter sponge a bit. If you rinse a filter with chlorinated water, the prupose of the filter is defeated, because chlorinated water kills the very benifiacial bacteria that call your filter home. Without the benificial bacteria, your turtles would become sick.
Ass for the smelly water, just make sure you do plenty of water changes once or twice a week. Also, every so often take out everything from your tank and wash the tank itself with a 10% Chlorine Bleach, 90% warm water solution. Make sure you only wash the tank. Then rinse it REALLY well. This will eliminate your problem. Good Luck,
Willie
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:57 am

in ur filtre do u have a carbon media?it help a lot to get rid of the smell...as for the sponge,personnally i clean it with water that i neutreulise first but i had the \"good bacteria\" myself(they sale the stuff for fish)..
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:54 am

I don\'t have a carbon filter. I have something that looks like a sponge. When I had the problem with the smell I started rinsing my filter more often and that kind of got rid of it.
Should I have a filter with carbon it? How about the filter that you put at the bottom of the tank? Do those work? I saw one at Wal-Mart and it wasn\'t that expensive and I am thinking of getting one.
Would I have to clean my filter with that one?
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:36 pm

carbon really helps with smells, no matter what kind of filter you have, I have carbon for my undergravel and it still keeps the tank from smelling!
Last edited by reptileman on Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:19 pm

the sponge it\'s call a media..i don\'t know fluval but their probably more then 1 media who can go in ur filter..usually the compagny just give the basic media with the filter and u have to buy the other one...ask the guy at the pet shop,he should know if there other media(like a carbon)who can go in ur filter..
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:31 pm

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
my plecos died the day after I bought them, Oh well, six bucks down the drain:(, anybody know what I might have done wrong, my rosey red guppies are doing fine, always active, so what might have happened, they started eating as soon as they got in the tank so food wasn\'t the problem. Any comments are welcome. :D
They may have had something from the pet store. My turtle got sick the day after I got him. He was probably sick before I brought him home, but didn\'t show signs until the next day. Luckily, I did some reading and was able to get him better and now he is a year old and healthy.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:38 pm

You\'re probably right, but they looked very healthy at the pet store, and it is a very nice pet store, they are planning to become only aquarium and aquatic animal pet store because Petco and another major pet store are in town now so they don\'t get too much buisness for dogs and cats. Anyway, I think I will try a different algae eater next time.
Razor_Reptile

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:02 am

Feel your turtles shell and under it\'s legs inside the shell. There is probably a slimmy resedue. Also feel the sides of the tank there should be the same slimmy feeling. That is most likely what you are smelling.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:32 am

Yeah, I read that that slimy residue is from feeding your turtle in the tank, especially if you feed them chicken in there, I don\'t feed my turtles in the tank (anymore), instead I put them in a salad bowl with just enough water to cover their shell and that if they happen to flip on their backs they can flip right back, I also put one of their basking rocks in with them in case they want to climb on it.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:50 pm

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
my plecos died the day after I bought them, Oh well, six bucks down the drain:(, anybody know what I might have done wrong
we had fish tanks growing up, so i\'m pretty familiar with fish. fish are EXTREMELY sensitive to water conditions. (you may know all of this, so just don\'t listen to me if you do!)

one thing .. pleco\'s need algae! if your tank is clean as a whistle, they have nothing to eat. could be a possibility.

the only other thing i can think of would be if you made sure that you put them in the tank in their bag (to match the water temperature) and that your water quality is top notch.

otherwise, they could have just been some sick ol\' plecos!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:43 am

lol life is sarcastic..imagine growing algae to feed ur fish while u actually bought them to get rid of it..

hey rachel ur the one with the cute baby..how is he doing now?
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:16 am

dixieee wrote:
hey rachel ur the one with the cute baby..how is he doing now?
you already replied to my update, but for others who might not have read it and who were helping me out .. he\'s doing great. actually today (a touch more of an update) i bought a new heater with a thermostat and a new floating thermometer. can\'t take any chances so i wanted all of my gear to be faultless. (he got sick in the first place due to a draft from french doors we have across the room from his tank. when it cooled down here .. i\'m from florida, so that\'s rare! .. we opened the doors wide open and unintentionally gave my baby an infection) he\'s back in his 10 gallon and basking away. he has been for hours. for some reason he wouldn\'t in the little \"incubator tank\". but, now he\'s all set and healthy as can be!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:09 am

yeah i saw the update after i asked
glad he\'s ok:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:28 am

I hadn\'t seen the update, glad he\'s doing ok.:D
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:25 pm

kelly wrote:
I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 2 res in it. I have a fluval 204 filter that sits outside tank. The water is only half full but even though water stays clear after 1-2 days after cleaning get a slight \"turtle smell\" no gravel on bottom. has anyone totally eliminated the turtle smell? how did you do it. special drops, algae eating fish?
there are filters, i have 2, which use charcoal. they are called duetto filters, i have a 100 and a 50, they are submersible. even when my water is dirty, it doesnt smell. they work great.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:38 am

i think turtle tanks get smelly and stinky because of ur babies ...mainly its the poo poo...but u know if u are let say very free u can saparate ur turtles into a bowl of water then wash ur tank with soup i mean soap then wipe dry and then rearange ur tank and put the babies in..the smell might not come back after 2 or 3 days i should thin cuz i do that for my babies
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:35 am

i just change the water daily and i do that whole cleaning once a week..it\'s not easy with the small rocks i have
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:03 pm

i know u dont want to hear this but i dont think ur filter is strong enough, a fluval 204 shouldnt be able to handle a 75 gallon tank and with it being half full your making it harder on the filter, look at the rating of ur filter and try to find ont with a rating of at least 250~ish carbon will help alot,

a reason ur pleco might have died is b/c the water is nt aeriated, is there something moving the surface of ur water all the time (bubbler, filter ...)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:21 am

I think they just starved, I didn\'t put any zucchini in there with them, although it does seem strange that they would starve after only one day.Image
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information