new to all of this

Discussions about turtles.
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

I need help with everything. I am a real turtle lover and have had all kinds of fake turtles in my room forever. I have just recieved my first real turtle and he is a baby. I am new to this and I need as much help as possible. I don\'t know if I am feeding him right or even exactly what kind of turtle he is. I think he might be getting sick from taking him out to clean his home. Help me please.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they don\'t get sick when u take them out for cleaning..but is he/she friendly? does he/she get scared when someone is around? is he/she eating?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Need info on the turtle:

(How big)
(color)
(what area did you get him from)
(what does the body look like-smooth, checkerboard,etc)
even a pic would help
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

If it is an R.E.S. go to this page for information on feedings and housing:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebInde ... liders.htm
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

He is about the size of about the size of a lightbulb. His top shell is about two inches long maybe smaller. he looks like the RES but he doesn\'t have red ears, just a red stomach. I live in michigan and my boyfriend got him for me from a pet store by his house. When I asked them questions about him they just told me that he was a red belly, keep his water warm at about 82 degrees and feed him the pellets. They told me that he did not need a light if I did not want to get him one (even though they had one in the pet store) I got him a heat lamp anyway. I realized that they were not going to be very helpful I started searching the internet and looking for books. But I have not found any info on any turtle called a red belly.
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

At first he was really scared. I think it is because he was in a new environment so all he did was hide under his floating rock next to his heater. So I thought he was cold that is when I decided I would get him a heat lamp. He started coming out after that just swimming around. Now he is a very very very eager eater. He will eat anything including his own poop and calcium block. I am feeding him twice a day but he still seems hungry. Is this good or bad???
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Be careful or else he\'ll have you trained to feed him whenever he wants:D
as far as the hiding, one of mine (my nephew\'s) darts into the water as soon as he sees me or anyone, I\'m pretty sure he does that because my nephew treats him like a hotwheels car, not mean, just sliding him around like he\'s got wheels or something. I have already told him to treat him better because he has feeling just like he does, I think he understood, but with children, who knows.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

LOL..well sometimes i make green fly like a jet..she used to hate it and struggle but then she understood that it would last only for a couple of minutes and she\'ll be safe again so she doesn\'t mind it anymore..

cstanton819 good that ur turtle is used to u now:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

About the poop thing, I read somewhere in this forum that it is completely normal, so long as he eats other foods too:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it is normal..and eating his own poop is better than eating the other\'s!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

He also eats his water neutralizer rock. I think it is made of calcium. Is that safe for him. After he did it the first time I noticed it I fed him after that and he threw up his food. He still ate it but I was worried. I think he is fine now.

dixiee: fly like a jet huh, That is too cute.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

READ THE FOLLOWING POSTS ABOUT WATER NEUTRALIZER PROBLEMS.

http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... picID=4383
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

So he wont die. I can love that.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Glad I could help, even though I wasn\'t the one who started that discussion.

reptileman, thank you.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hehe and yesterday she stretched her hands and feet..she\'s playing the role of a jet:p

u see that link,,man we get offtopic easily!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That\'s ok, we always come back:D
helpfor henry
Level 1
Level 1

hi! if they said your turtle is a red belly then he is probably a \"cooter\". i came across the red bellied cooter when i was trying to identify my turtle. henry is a peninsula cooter. if you google red bellied cooter you will get alot of info. this is a great board. eveyone was alot of help when i got my henry and he was sick. thanks every one and good luck with you \"red belly\"!!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Your welcome, that\'s what we are here for:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u r most welcome and glad henry is ok:)
Pzycho Turtle
Level 1
Level 1

Can u post a pic so it\'s easier to identify. Feeding twice a day? That\'s a bit too much. Turts tends to beg a lot even when they\'re hungry. Some says this is probably due to the notion that they don\'t know when their next meal will be. Maybe you should stick to only once a day and later on every other day. Over feeding cause future problems in health.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i read a lot about feeding baby turtles twice a day..the problem is that nobody agreed on how much they should be fed..no precise quantities were ever given
Pzycho Turtle
Level 1
Level 1

This may lead a problem specialy on the quantity. what do you feed your turt and how much?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i feed them baby pellets..2 pieces each twice a day and i keep green leaves with them so they can eat and that way i can know when they r hungry bcz they don\'t eat it unless they are starving
Pzycho Turtle
Level 1
Level 1

Do you use cuttlebones? my turts are crazy about them. And they are a great source of calcium.
Last edited by Pzycho Turtle on Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

unfortunately no bcz u can\'t find any turtle-related things in here..i got the pellets from the pet shop and the guy there sold me in a small plastic bag from the box he has..but i give them meat treats at least once a week
Pzycho Turtle
Level 1
Level 1

You can buy cuttlebone at almost any petshops (specuially if they sell birds). all you need to do is remove the hard bony part and cut the chalky part into small pieces.

You can feed ur turts the following:

Aquatic plants (Anacharis, Water Lettuce)
Veggies (Greens- Red Leaf, Romaine, Collards, Kale, Dandelion Greens, Carrots)
Fruits (Apples, Bananas, Grapes, Melon, Tomato, Strawberries)
Live (Feeder Guppies/Rosies, Crickets(Gut-Loaded), Pinhead Crickets (for smaller turtles), Earthworms/Night Crawlers, Ghost Shrimp, Aquatic Snails/Apple Snails)
Frozen/Canned (Beef Heart, Bloodworms, Plankton, Krill)
Commercial Turtle food/pellet
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx for the list:) i tried apples but they don\'t seem to like fruits at all..maybe when they grow up they\'ll get used to it..i\'ll ask about the cuttlebone this weekend..great that i can find it at petshops..thanx again:)
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

From what I understand I should not be feeding him twice a day. But I think I would starve him, he is used to eating that much. So how long should I feed him once a day before I start feeding him less. But he seems so hungry.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

What I think you should do is miss a feeding per day for a week, then the next week miss two, like a monday and a saturday, and see how they react, they are always gonna seem hungry, especially when they get used to you being around, they see you just seconds before food appears so every time they see you they are gonna expect some kind of food to appear, my neice asked me if she should feed their turtles again, even though we had just fed them about half an hour before.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

twice a day is ok but depending on ur turtle\'s size..mine are hatchlings that\'s why they have to be fed twice,,at first i was told to give them 1 baby pellet twice a day but i noticed they didn\'t have the neergy to do anything so i increased the amount to 2 pellets twice a day which is something like 3 pellets for each (most of the pellets i have are broken into small pieces,,maybe from an accident! )
anyways back to the topic, older ones have to be fed once a day and when they get old it is enough to feed them once every other day..but of course the quantity/meal would be greater then..
is the light-bulb size turtle urs? i think u mentioned it\'s size b4 so if it is that one then mmm maybe yes it should be fed once a day and start depending more on veggies
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
Glad I could help, even though I wasn\'t the one who started that discussion.

reptileman, thank you.:D
you\'re welcome!
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

so he is not a hatchling anymore?
What size is a hatchling?
Do veggies include fruit too or should I stick to romaine lettuce?
What are some other veggies?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

there\'s no fixed size but i think a hatchling is less than 2 inches..yes u can feed him fruits like apples,bananas, strawberries..
other veggies might be water plants or any green leaves and don\'t worry if he didn\'t eat much from it,,u wouldn\'t like to eat that either:)
  • Information