Filter?

Discussions about turtles.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:00 pm

I have two young RES turtles...I\'ve had them for two months but just bought a filter...it seems to be sucking them in? will they get used to this and learn stay clear? I\'m really concerned....please help, thanks!!
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:24 pm

If you have a strong filter and the babies get caught on/in the intake - they could drown. I have an older filter, and used the strainer end (for fish)until my 3 got too big for the suction to be a problem.

What type filter do you have? I recommend turning it off until you get a good solution.
NCCowgirl11
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:30 pm

I had the same problem wiht my filter when I bought it. All you need to do is get a strainer cover for the end of the filter that enters the water. Soon Your two RES will out grow the need for the strainer, they will be able to remove there selfs from the filter with out help. Hope this helps! If you need any more help, I\'ll be glad to assist you. Email me at [email protected]
I have Two RES by the way!

Tanya
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:10 pm

dont turn off the filter, ussully you can turn down the flow of them, see if you can,
YellowBelli
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:01 am

I found the same problem happened to me.

I used some rocks to cover the filter itself up. The water was still being sucked in behind the rocks, and being jetted out with no risk to the baby turtle getting sucked up. Whenever my turtle got caught in the suction stream, he\'d gently land on the rocks, and crawl up them to stick his head out of the water. Once he got his strength (and senses!) back he\'d swam off.

Another option is to direct the water outlet flow down around somewhere where the water gets sucked in. Not very efficient I know, but if your turtle gets stuck in the \'under suction\' current, it will be propelled away again by the outlet flow.

Eventually when your turtle\'s get bigger, I believe they recognise not to go near. If they do, they will be big and strong enough just to swim off with no barrier aid.
  • Information