STILL RUNS!!!!!!

Discussions about turtles.
mastaboba
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:45 pm

I have had my RES for about 2 months now, and whenever she she sees me SHE ALWAYS SWIMS AWAY AS FAST AS SHE CAN! Sometimes i will walk into the room and she will be on land and the second she spots me she just takes off into the water! when will she stop!?
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:17 pm

Shes just shy its her personality. Turtles are like dogs but wiht out fur.
mastaboba
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:22 pm

ok, i dont know how you think its like a dog, no offense, but whenever i come home my dog runs up to me and is happy to see me. He doesnt run to the corner of the room and hide. If your dog does that then you are doing something VERY wrong.
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:57 pm

Give your turt more time. They don\'t react like dogs do, and if scared natural instinct is to head for water - safer there. They don\'t move as fast on land. My little RES had calmed down a bit, then I had to remove all 3 turts from the tank for some maintenance - and it\'s freaking again when I approach the tank - until it sees food.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:49 pm

mines been runnin\' for months, i dont think it\'ll stop for a while,i\'v had mine from feb. and they still jump off the rock and one doesnt EVER come out (unless for food)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:49 am

they need to know u well so they don\'t run away..my turtles did the same when i first got them but after giving them some time playing and handling they got used to us..one did faster than the other but it was ok

now the new guy does this..he is a scary-cat but i noticed something strange yesterday..my dad had his finger in the tank and \"the new turtle\" was coming up then when i came he went running in circles in the whole tank..

so just give them time and let them see u more often

good luck
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:01 am

mine gets all bent and runs n hides when i change his tank around (he doesnt like changes).....when mine were babies they hid...i didn;t know much about them then, so i just fed them, never played w/ them, and they came around by themselves..now if he sees a shadow hes plopping around begging for someone to look at him ....RIP Woody but.... if i take Godzilla out of his tank too much to play he gets annoyed w/ me and will start hiding from me .... unlike dixieees turts ....they are all different...i suggest you just say hello to him whenever you feed him, and once in a while try to take him out ...but like i always say ..im no expert so you don\'t have to take my word...goood luck :)

and they are VERY much like DOg\'s....

Chrissy :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:50 pm

pixie when they were shy did they still eat?
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:03 pm

Mine did, but I had to back off, sit down, and observe them from about 2 feet away. Now the RES will eat if I\'m within 6 inches - as long as my hand isn\'t over the tank. The other two are fine with anything that involves food.
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:09 pm

Yea, they loved to eat. but soon enough a few weeks later Woody began to fail. He stopped being shy and stopped eating, he was just kinda there...It was horrible. Is something wrong with one of your turtles? ...i hope not.
Chrissy
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:13 pm

Mine takes food from my fingers ...Thank God i never got bit....As he gets bigger the less i hand feed him ..He was always more the outgoing one......He still gets scared if someone besides me comes close and fast to the tank while hes all out in the open basking...You should see these Gold spots!
Ill have to take a pic
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:16 pm

no the old one is great i hand feed her and she eats anything..i mean it by anything
the new guy is still shy..he was eating today but my sis entered the room suddenly and since then he didn\'t eat. he\'s so active i was just trying to take pictures of him and it was very hard to do it..anyways i\'ll post them now
  • Information