Turtle care

Discussions about turtles.
julscards

Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:16 pm

Hey, we have a 3 year old red ear slider who has grown quite large. His shell length measures 8 inches. We have him in a 50 gallon tank and wonder if it is large enough. He may be over weight due to over feeding. When he is sunning on his rock with his legs out his excess skin hangs out of the shell. Also, having a terrible time keeping the water clean we are changing once a week, filters too! How deep should his water be? Having algae problems! Please advise we want Goliath to be happy! thanks.
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:41 pm

Good God ....8 inches? What am i in for in 6 months? Must be cute to see his excess skin though.....Some of the people here are quite helpful and do know what they are talking about, others im not too sure of ...But anyway...That\'s a lot of changing water in a 50 gallon tank ...I have to freshen my turtles water often too and i have two powerful filters going (under gravle and regular strong turtle filter)...there is this stuff i put in my turtles tank that is supposed to reduce turtle wastes its called \"Turtle Clean\" Seems to work keeping the smell to a minimum...as for the size tank everyone is going to tell you that youll need an 80 gallon tank for your turtle...hopefully yaya or annie will respond to you..Good Luck!!!!!!
Chrissy :)
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:46 pm

Goliath sounds like a healthy 3 year old RES. Good job!

How much water is in the tank? When I raised my first two RES, they lived happily in a 20 gallon tank. At 5\" and 6\", the thinking now would be that is too small. However, it was an all water tank. (And this was back when \"death bowls\" were commonplace.) Basking was done on a homemade ramp anchored so they got totally out of the water. I feel the ability to swim and totally dry off are paramount. So, I ask the question about water level first.

Turtles are messy. There\'s no other way to put it. What kind of filter are you running? Undergravel, inside box, outside box, outside box w/attached motor? I run an (older) outside filter w/attached motor for a 5 1/2 gallon tank with 3 babies - and change the filter material every week. Carbon about every 3 weeks. For comparison, this filter was originally sold to run a 20 gallon aquarium. That\'s the difference between fish and turtles, messwise.

I\'m hoping someone with newer equipment will also respond to your question - because I\'m looking for rec\'s on filters as I move these big babies to a larger habitat!
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:50 pm

[quote]Annie3 wrote:
I run an (older) outside filter w/attached motor for a 5 1/2 gallon tank with 3 babies - and change the filter material every week.

Gee - that looks like 51 gallon, so need to clarify. It\'s a five and one/half gallon tank. That will make more sense.
  • Information