could my turtle go blind?

Discussions about turtles.
Mell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a male painted turtle. We found him about 12 years ago, His shell is 5\"long X 4 inches wide (about 2x\'s bigger than when we found him). until now he has never been sick ! About 6 weeks ago the light on the tank broke, I didn\'t think anything of it being the middle of summer ( big mistake). Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago. His eyes swelled up and shut and he stopped eating. After doing some research I got a new uva/uvb light, basking lamp and heater. I also got ZooMed eye drops from the pet store. All the sites I visited said not to wait too long - see a vet. So after 3 days I did, she gave me chloramphenicol opthalmic 1% ointment for the eyes and gave him a vitamin A shot. The ointment made things swell worse, so now I am just using the pet store drops. The swelling has come down a lot ! I can finally open the left eye part way, but what worrys me is all I can see is white. Could the eye have died/rotted ? Can a blind turtle really survive happily? This makes it really difficult for him to eat, I am hand feeding him now. He will only eat live mealworms, earthworms and crickets. He has stopped eating freeze dried food that were once loved and never did eat veggies ! HELP PLEASE!!!!!
echo444
Level 2
Level 2

I don\'t know what to tell you that could help you. I just wanted to tell you that I\'m soooo sorry to hear that. It must be sad...and frustrating for you. Hopefully his eyes will heal and everything will be okay.
Mell
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. Unfortunatley,it looks like that is how things are going to end up. So far though he still appears happy
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I know how you feel. Jazzy, my Eastern Box turtle, had eyes problems when I first got her. That was before, of course, I knew that you were supposed to keep them in mulch not sand of gravel. I had to wipe her eyes with wet Q-tips. She did not like THAT at all!!! The bad thing about Box turtles is they can completely close up. You can imagine. Hope this helps!

-Kim
Mell
Level 1
Level 1

cross your fingers everyone! Today I was able to open both eyes half way. I can see both eye balls are still intact. They are cloudy. I keep washing out some sort of white stuff but I think he has some vision in the right eye. So far he will only open them when we are outside (not in the tank) Could the uva/b light be too strong? It is a repti-lite 25 watts. Hopefully with more eye drops there may be light at the end of the tunnel.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mealworms, earthworms and crickets are not a balanced diet. When an aquatic\'s eyes close up like you described, it can be because of a Vitamin A deficiency. If this is the cause of your turtle\'s problems, the Vit. A shot could be helping. Vitamin A shots/supplements can be risky, however, because it\'s possible for a turtle to get too much, and Vit A is toxic if overdone. Try to get your turtle on a more balanced diet that includes some foods with beta carotene (like carrots, dandelions, squash, tomatoes, etc.). Your turtle can utilize the beta carotene to create Vit.A as needed without the possibility of overdosing on it. Vit. A is also included in many reputable turtle pellets, which would help balance the diet.
Mell
Level 1
Level 1

He was on a slightly broader diet before this incident:Fish food flakes, tubiflex worms, shrimp, meal worms - this is what he has eaten for 12 years without a single problem. He has never eaten any veggies and refuses floating pellets. He appears to be regaining some sight in his right eye. I am hoping that he will eat other food on his on soon, right now he just spits the other stuff out. He seems to be sensing the shadow of my hand in order to find the food, I am finger feeding him. Does anyone have any recomendations for a liquid vitamin. I have tried powder ones but as soon as the food touches water it powder floats away.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

-Kim
Last edited by Trailrider on Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mell
Level 1
Level 1

It has been 11 days since I started the pet store drops - \"ZooMed repti-turtle eye drops\" GREAT STUFF! He has opened both eyes and appears to have a fair bit of sight in both. I have been washing out some sort of white slimy \"fungus\" with the drops. They are almost \"clear\" again! He is still being picky about what he eats. I think I have spoiled him by feeding live food, until he got sick it was just freeze dried stuff. Hopefully if he can find food on his own he\'ll take what is in the tank.
Does anyone know of any liquid vitamins ?
  • Information