heater

Discussions about turtles.
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:25 pm

Hi, it\'s me again. Someone on here told me that I should get a heater for my baby RES. Well, money is extremely tight. My parents want me to pay for everything for the turtle and I have already used up all my money on the tank, the basking lamp, the rocks, and the plants. My turtle is very lively, eats when I feed him his food, and seems very healthy and energetic. As long as he continues to be like this, is it ABSOLUTELY necessary that I purchase a heater RIGHT now? Or is it ok if I wait a few weeks. I want to be a good owner and I don\'t want to put my turtle at risk, so please let me know what to do. Thanks!
echo444
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:28 am

I totally understand the money thing. I\'m not sure how long it would be okay to go without a heater. Just try to get one as soon as you can and watch the turtle to see if it changes in behavior or anything. Here is some information I found for you.

http://www.petstation.com/waturtl.htm

Heaters And Temperature

* You can either heat the tank from inside the water or outside the tank.
* Heating pads. They are available at drug stores. Put under the tank and adjust level. They don\'t usually have a thermostat, so check the water temperature daily, and turn the pad on or off, depending on the weather. A timer is a great help, here.

* Heating Strips: a variation on pads. Usually not powerful enough for a turtle tank.

* Basking lamp. If your apartment is always warm, and you have just one small turtle in a small tank, the basking lamp, usually a 60W bulb, can suffice to keep the water warm. I use only lamps to heat the water for my semi-aquatic box turtle.

* Submersible heaters. They are very efficient and come with a thermostat. But, they are made of glass and any turtle can break it. So, you need to protect the heater, for example behind some bricks. If the glass heater breaks, both you and your turtle can get electrocuted. You can make a protective corner for the heater using bricks or tiles.

* Check the literature for the correct temperature for your turtle. Lower 80is is a good general range. The warmer the water the more active the turtles, but also the more bacteria in the water.

* Be sure the temperature is not too low, because it will put the turtle into a state, where it is too warm for hibernation and too cold to eat and move, and it will die. I keep my Reeves and Sliders at around 85 degrees F during the day; during the night the temperature drops slightly. In summer, when they are outdoors, the temperature drops to 65F at night in spring and fall, but the water warms up during the day. For indoors, you should not let the temperature go much below 80F.

From http://www.allturtles.com/care_sheets/w ... ousing.php

\"The temperature should be maintained between 72 degrees and 85 degrees.\"

From http://www.sdturtle.org/WATER%20TURTLE% ... 0SHEET.htm

TEMPERATURE

\"Turtles become sluggish as temperatures drop and they stop eating. The correct temperature for your specific type of turtle will be determined by when it east well but is not overactive. This is usually between 70 degrees F and 80 degrees F. Many species do very well at room temperature, but those from warmer climates require a heat source; one to fit your particular needs should be found. Large tanks and outdoor ponds require specially made apparatuses. Take care to ensure that air and water temperature are close to the same.\"

From http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/bcwaterturtles.htm

HEATING:

\"A heat source must be provided, whether an aquarium heater or the light itself. Submersible heaters are available which allow more shallow water than regular aquarium heaters require. Temperature should be maintained at 75-85°F. An overhead light for warmth during the day should be installed above the basking area. It should be turned off at night to simulate normal daytime/nighttime conditions in nature.\"
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:22 pm

A perplexed mom
Last edited by eallen on Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:45 pm

thank you sooo much echo!!!!!!! that really helps me and reassures me!!!!!!
echo444
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:35 am

Eallen, Unfortunately I was unable to find the information you wanted about the crickets. It doesn\'t sound like you\'re feeding them too much. The word \"occasionally\" is an awful word when it comes to things like this. Everyone has a different opinion about what the word means and it only causes confusion. Unless you find out otherwise, I think it will be fine to continue feeding them each 3 crickets a week. (Do you feed them just one cricket per day?) Just make sure that you give them a varied diet and I think everything will be okay. If I find out anything I\'ll definitely let you know.
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:33 am

Acutally I feed them three crickets on the same day once a week. Is that bad?
Last edited by eallen on Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:06 pm

hey! a little update about the heater...
well right now i dont have enough money to buy a heater but i did purchase an equarium thermometer.. and i am watching it and during the day the water stays around 80º F so I think the basking lamp does a good job of heating the water. I just cleaned my tank today for the first time and I added more water and my baby starsky is loving it!!!! He is sooo lively and swims around and he\'s having a ball! I really think turtles are the coolest pets ever!
  • Information