PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussions about turtles.
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

Just recently i bought a turtle in Destin, Florida. It is very small, about the size of a silver dollar. It has a reddish spot on its head which leads me to believe it might be a miniature red eared slider. I went to Petsmart and purchased an aquarium with a basking light and aquatic plants. I am wondering if this turtle is going to grow, and if so, how big?
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, It will grow. But it depends on the gender. If its a male, it should grow to 7 or 8 inches. If its female it will probably grow to 12 inches.
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

how do i know if it\'s a female or a male?
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

I wish I knew. But I did read on one site (can\'t remember which, I was on ask jeeves) that males have longer claws than females. Thats all I got, hope it helps!
echo444
Level 2
Level 2

You definitely have a RES. I was in Destin just last week and went to a place that had a tank full of them. They were so small and cute.
This site may help you to know whether you have a boy or a girl, but I\'ve read that your turtle needs to be at least four inches before you can actually start to tell. Turtles grow at different rates, so it may be four inches within a year (mine is already 5 1/2 inches at 7 months!)...or it may take longer. You just have to be patient, although I know it\'s hard because you want to know what sex it is. http://www.picolio.com/Ramblings/Turtle-Growth-Sex.php
It shows pictures of the turtles and their growth, as well as pictures of their tails and claws which are different between males and females.

You need to invest in an aquarium heater. I keep my temperature around 80 degrees Farenheit. Just make sure your turtle can\'t lay on the heater or it may get burned. I cover mine with rocks that the turtle climbs on. Also, don\'t put too much water in your aquarium just yet. Baby RES can\'t swim well. It only needs enough water where if it turns over it can flip itself back over (about the width of it\'s shell). Eventually you can add more water (once it learns to float and swim...which is so exciting to see for the first time!)

Sorry if you already know all these things. I\'m just trying to be helpful. I knew nothing when I first got mine...but the internet is a great place to learn about caring for them. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. Good luck with your new turtle! :)
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you, I will take your advice. I really apreciate all your help.
echo444
Level 2
Level 2

No problem. Like I said, don\'t hesitate to ask any questions you may have. I\'ll either answer it from experience, or find the answer.
  • Information