2 res' in texas

Welcome aboard! Come in and introduce yourself to the All Turtles message board.
beivaager

Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi! I am the proud parent of an approximately 18month old RES-Speedy. He is great! I just adore him. Today I acquired from a co-worker, a baby baby RES - she found him in March, he is about 1.5 inches across and long. My Speedy is about 4.5" both ways. I put the new baby, Snappy, in a smaller tank for now. My plan was to put them together, but after I saw how small he was, i was a little afraid that as he dangles his legs on the side of the basking rock, Speedy may think he is bait! Any thoughts on this?
Also, today, I read that a female will need to lay eggs regardless of if there is a male around; Now, Im not sure of the sex of the older one, but just in case, what would I do about this?
I hope everyone who has turtles loves them as much as I do.
any input re: housing these 2 together will be appreciated.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:28 am

welcome to the board :)

sorry to break the news but it won't be wise at all if u put little snappy with speedy cz of 2 major reasons:
1- 85% chance that speedy will attempt to at least have a chunk out of the little guy
2- speedy has been living alone for a long while and will not accept the idea of an "intruder" sharing his home

there are some exceptions but nobody would risk and try in that case :roll:

about laying eggs, yeah female turtles will lay unfertilized eggs (with no babies) if there wasn't any male around. now to tell if ur turtle is an m or f (which could be showing by now since he's 4"+), look at the nails and tail.
males:

females:

from http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Info/info.htm

k so good luck with ur guys and if u want to share and/or discuss anything about them, that's what we're here for
beivaager

Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:47 am

Thanks for the info, and especially the close up pics of m vs. f. I think its definitely a female now. Im glad my gut feeling was right as far as putting them together... I set little Snappy up in the 20 gallon tank and am going to go ahead and just set him up permanently in his/her own big tank ASAP.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:56 pm

anytime, good luck :)
  • Information