Hi there

Welcome aboard! Come in and introduce yourself to the All Turtles message board.
kiwigal

Hi there

Post by kiwigal » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:22 am

Hello everyone,

Stumbled across this site whilte researching whether or not I want to branch out into turtle keeping, (still undecided??)

I live in New Zealand, and am the parent of 3 gorgeous/revolting kids, I currently keep fish and have the tank and most of the equipment needed to keep a turtle but am still looking for more info before I decide.

OH well thats a quick hello from me, catch ya all later :D

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:59 am

welcome to the board :)

the hardest part of taking care of a turtle is providing the needed setup and equipment, giving it some time for feeding, and some more time for cleaning (less often depending on the filter). here ends ur part and the turtle will take care of the rest :) so what type of turtles are u interested in? what is the size of u tank u already have??

kiwigal

Post by kiwigal » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:17 am

I am looking at a Red Ear, my tank is just over 110litres, no idea what that means in gallons, lol

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:24 am

a RES, good choice :D they're one of the best beginner-turtles that u can find almost anywhere.

110 litres=24 gallons, good for a start :)

btw, did anybody know that US gallons differ from UK ones?? :o

kiwigal

Post by kiwigal » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:25 am

dixieee wrote:btw, did anybody know that US gallons differ from UK ones?? :o
Have to admit that I had no idea, thats why us kiwis work in litres, much easier :lol: and the same world over.

Actually in New Zealand Turtle keeping is a very rare hobby at this stage and the nearest pet store to me that knows anything about them is about 2 hrs drive away :?

However my sister in law has started a trend and there are now two of us in the region going to keep RES

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:53 am

same in here, we work in litres too and turtle-keeping is so rare. finding common types of turtles is not that difficult but keeping them survive is not so done :!:

are turtles native to new zealand?

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:30 pm

Welcome aboard, nice to meet you, anything we can help with after you get your turtle, don't hesitate to ask :D :D