Downy ridge says hi

Welcome aboard! Come in and introduce yourself to the All Turtles message board.
Rick Yarbrough

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:27 pm

Hello from Downyridge a Backyard Habitar and small Nurery grower(real Small) ive been around Water animals since i was a small boy catchingwater critters out of a small creek ,frogs crayfish blue gill,box turtles, and now while fishing i caught a 6 :) inch red ear turtle :) ive brought him home and named him,SIM,feeding him worms and ground beef, some times tuna, but now its getting fall i need alittel help from some one ;how do i keep my new guy out side during the winter ,hes in a 5' pool right now;when will he hibernate?and how do i keep him,like he was out at his old home in the lake?
Imglad i found this group and later on id like to have four more little guys join him, thanks Rickester
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:36 pm

welcome to the board :) it would've been better for him if u left him in the wild for winter but since u got him it's ok :) well i guess he's old enough to hibernate and probably did that b4 (last winter). read about it b4 u get him into it, here's something about how and why to hibernate http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articles/danas.htm

good luck and keep us posted :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, is the pool a concrete pond/pool or is it a natural pond?, if it is a natural pond, he should dig himself in without you needing to do anything for him, if it is a concrete pond/pool, he won't have anywhere to dig, also, find out how deep your frost line is for your area, he should be able to go below the frost line to dig his hole, otherwise, he may freeze to death.
  • Information