setting turtles free

Welcome aboard! Come in and introduce yourself to the All Turtles message board.
ocean

setting turtles free

Post by ocean » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:33 pm

I bought a turtle in Chinatown (N.Y.C.) today at a food market. He was trying so hard to get out of the large bucket. He obviously knew he was doomed to be turned into turtle soup. I took a taxi down to Battery Park and let him go in the Hudson River. He looked like a softshell turtle because he had one of those snorkle snouts. Did I do the right thing? Will he survive? Did I upset the natural ecosystem of the Hudson River? I considered bringing him home, but I know nothing about turtles. The little guy just got under my skin. He was fearless, and utterly unafraid of humans, and tried to crawl on my shoe before I threw him into the river. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:07 am

welcome to the board :) hmm i can't say u did the right thing or not by setting that little guy free bcz there are many threats in the wild too especially for a young turtle who probably knows nothing about living there. i don't wanna make u feel bad cz i know what was ur intention from doing so :) turtles are great pets btw :wink:

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:46 am

I don't know how well the turtles get treated before they get to market, but I am sure that the market doesn't treat them all that well either, personally, I would've done the same if I had not had the means to take care of it, I would prefer to have a wild animal eat the turtle than have it end up in a soup, at least it will have a chance to survive in the wild, in the market, it would have no chance at all. :( I wouldn't do it too often though, they could put a strain on the native turtles by competing for food and the native turtles would have trouble stabalizing if the introduced turtle would thrive.

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Post by contact444 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:53 pm

Well they say it's bad to buy them to set them free because the market is still making it's money off of them either way eat em or free em. It's easy to say that when your not looking at a cute little turtle doomed to becoming soup. :(

At least you gave it a fair chance. :|

BROOKLYN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BROOKLYN » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:21 pm

Hi Ocean. I'm new to the forum as well. When you meant the market, did you mean a pet store, a fish market, or the stores that sell everything that attracts tourist? Although I am not sure exactly what kind of turtle you are talking about, in Chinatown, there are many stores where they sell illegal baby RES (hatchlings). They put it out in the open and you see many of them in either plastic buckets or in really small gallon tanks. I knew that there was a law against this long ago and finally realize why after reading this site about the 4inch law and the salmonella problem. However, in NYC (since I am a New Yorker myself), the police don't do much about this. I guess that's because Chinatown has been a tourist attraction for years and the city is always in need of money. Back then, they charged about $2 for one and if you wanted a small tank and turtle food, it was like another $5. From what I heard, I think that they are selling the baby RES for about $5 now although I'm not really sure.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:25 pm

I don't remember too well but I am almost sure that I didn't read about the baby turtles being illegal to sell as food, they are only illegal to sell as pets, that may be one of the loop holes that people take advantage of. :?

Robin_Luver13

Post by Robin_Luver13 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:26 pm

my friend ( not the one with 3 turtles in the critter keeper ) got her turtles in Chinatown.... her whole family is vegetarian and wanted to save them too, but took them in as pets instead.... before i heard about this site i always went to her for tips... they grew from the size of quarters to the size of dishplates!

BROOKLYN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BROOKLYN » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:29 pm

Robin_Luver13 wrote:my friend ( not the one with 3 turtles in the critter keeper ) got her turtles in Chinatown.... her whole family is vegetarian and wanted to save them too, but took them in as pets instead.... before i heard about this site i always went to her for tips... they grew from the size of quarters to the size of dishplates!
The RES are pretty much seasonal in Chinatown (Manhattan). You don't see a lot of them in stores (ones that are tourist attraction) during the winter season. I'm starting to think that these hatchlings are breed by the owners of the store. Some turtles are healthy while many are not. It really depends if you're the lucky one to get a healthy one or one that's really about to die. This can be a moral dilemma for many. Either buy one and try to rescue it before it dies, buy one that's healthy (so it seems) and get your moneys worth, or ignore altogether. Survivor (my RES) was purchased at a local petstore in Chinatown where my grandma lived. I believe she told me she actually paid $7-$8 for him. This was obviously very expensive at the time since we are talking about over 10 years ago but I don't think it was illegal at the time in New York. I don't mind buying another hatchling but I'll just stick to my current job and that's making up for all those years of neglect that Survivor has been through. Besides, I need to start saving up for a new setup for him and maybe then I'll let a new hatchling in to his current setup.

turtlelover86

Post by turtlelover86 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:44 pm

Hudson River wasnt a right choice! It had many diseases or bateria stuff because it was contaminated!
Hopefully it would survive!!!

Selling baby turtles or turtles for food really pissed ppl off!

Robin_Luver13

Post by Robin_Luver13 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:45 pm

i dont know what i would do if i had to get rid of my turtle, probably give it to a friend.....

also i went into ny yesterday and as we drove along/near the hudson all i could think about was that turtle and wondering if it was still alive and how it was doing.....

jacey

Post by jacey » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:23 pm

I am saddened by that :(

J