I'm new here!

Welcome aboard! Come in and introduce yourself to the All Turtles message board.
Pauly
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I've had my RES for 4-1/2 years now. She'll be 5 in September. She was a "gift" from my step daughter and nobody thought that she would survive. HA! They gave her to the wrong person if they didn't think she'd make it! She was the size of a quarter when she was given to me. Now she's huge! 10-1/2" long and this is her first year laying eggs. 9 eggs laid so far........ She's in a 100 gallon tank and she loves to walk around my house. She will even climb out of the tank on her own if nobody is paying attention to her. I obviously try to not let that happen! A couple years ago she decided she wanted out of the tank and escaped in the middle of the night. We now know when she wants to get out and we help her so she doesn't fall.

While my dad always had a turtle or two or three in a tank while I was growing up, those turtles were from the lake by our house and "wild". When they got too big he would put them back in the lake. My turtle has never been in a pond and from what I've read they prefer 80degree water so I can't image letting her out in the Illinois cold. So, although I've had her for 4-1/2 years now, I still am new to this turtle caring life........
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Welcome to the forum!
Red Eared Slider is a good turtle. I basically grew up with one since I was like 5, 6 years old.
She is still kicking after 30 some years later.
Personally I think they are one of the most beautiful turtles out there.
Pauly
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks! Shelby laid 6 more eggs yesterday and 1 more today. She has been very busy! I just wish I knew what the spot was on her head.
  • Information