So I have 2 Red Eared Sliders....

Welcome aboard! Come in and introduce yourself to the All Turtles message board.
IShipMalecScrewOff

so i have 2 red eared sliders and the male keeps on attacking anything he can get his claws on. it is usually the other turtle, but im getting concerned because it keeps on happening even though i have done a lot to help my turtles :?: :?: :?: :?: Please help ASAP!
Chopsley
Level 2
Level 2

I’m new to this forum but been in this hobby over sixty years. Most beginners start with two or more turtles ( just so cute) and all is good until that “day” comes as yours. Sometimes at two years signs start to show when those babies become juveniles. Then sexual maturity starts. With RES’s that's about 3 years old or about 4” in size , female’s sooner , size has more to do with this than age. Sometimes it takes years then there personalities change as with humans. One a male for sure / what about the other one ? If two males once mature they will fight for mates and or territory. Male / female , male will harass her for sex all the time until she hurts or kills him. Two females ok if they have the same personalities and yes turtles have personalities all different , just like humans. Most of this happens because to many think a 40 / 60 and yes even a 100 gallon tank half full to prevent escape is big enough for two adult or “mature” turtles. Very few have rare cases it works but that is rare with RES’s. My decades in this hobby the ten gallon rule for every inch of “all” turtle shells is great for immature turtles only. Once sexually mature separation is a “must” for safety. Or get a very big tank so both have there own territory. That’s expensive , why I go with stock tanks 1/4th the cost of glass tanks. With creativity one can make them look good. Much wider than a 12 or even 18” wide glass tank , so much easier to setup for adult turtles. My Chopsley ( male RES 5 1/2” ) is in a 150 gallon stock tank almost full , maybe 120 gallons of water since he was 1” . I always setup even for a baby an adult tank saves on all those upgrades. Turtles grow faster than some think.
  • Information