What should I do be4 putting the turtles into the new aquari

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Mother Giant Panda
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:57 am

I have just bought a 30" long aquarium for my turtles and it will be arrived on Friday. I want to know, what should I do before putting the turtles into the new aquarium. I think I should clean the aquarium. Do I need to add salt to cleaning it?

Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:51 pm

no dont put salt in it!
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:22 am

Cleaning the tank and everything that will go into it with lots of HOT water - ONLY - will be sufficient. Never use any chemicals or salt to clean the tank .
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Feb 05, 2002 8:16 pm

Sorry for the lanuage lesson but I think no don't is a double negative. You forgot to capitalize the n in no, and you forgot the apostrophy in don't. I know all this because my teacher is extremly persnickity about "proper" grammer, punctuation, and spelling.

Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:36 am

wash the tank thoroughly with warm water...and scrub it gently along the corners, using an old toothbrush.

let the last rinse be with 10% \'methylene blue\'.

DONT use any detergents, bleach or other cleaning agents, as residual amounts of those might remian..and harm your pets

you can add salt in the proportion of a teaspoon per gallon, as it provides preventive protection against fungal and viral growth!

CHK OUT: Pet Turtle - your Turtles Home!
http://petturtle.htmlplanet.com
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:05 pm

personally i wouldn\'t use salt. a little is good, but if they are fresh water turtles then it makes it a little difficult. my first turtle was in a tank with a little salt and it wasn\'t very healthy for him. i have been learning in class (veterinary) that most reptiles have low level of sodium in their blood and too much can actually infect them dieseases.
  • Information