URGENT HELP! HURRY PLEASE!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:02 pm

hi, alot of you may recognize me again because ive posted quite a few things in the last day or so. Ok im having a BIG problem. If oyu read earlier, I bought my turltes with almost no water. Now I added more water. my turtles are 1 inch each so I put alittle under an inch of water (they start floating on top) but now they are giving out bubbles from their mouth when theyre in the water. is that a bad sign? I\'m just scared because they have never done it before and they do it pretty frequently. please reply ASAP.

oh and also, they still cant swim. they just keep finding a place where they can stand secure holding one hand on the side of the tank and the other at the bottom. what should i do! please hurry!

thanks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:20 pm

In addition to the bubbles in their mouths, do they have any mucus coming from their noses or mouths? Are they gaping/yawning frequently? Are they tilting to one side when they`re in the water? If they have any of these symptoms, they may be getting respiratory infections.

You never mentioned it, but what is the temp of the water and basking area? Normally for hatchlings the water temp should be 78-80F; the basking area should be 85-90F. If the temps are too cool, they are prone to respiratory infections, they will become inactive, and they won`t eat. Please check your temps and adjust them if necessary. If they have any of the above symptoms, but are still active and eating, raise the water temp to 82-83F and the basking area temp. to about 92F. The increased warmth will boost their immune systems and help them fight any infection.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:57 pm

from what i see theres no mucus and i only saw one of them yawn one time and it was small. They just open their mouths to let the bubble out or else sometimes out of their nose. what should i do? the temperature is alittle cold but pretty ok. they do it in the water so i dont think it has to do with their basking area. basking area is about 82-85 and water is about 75. ill try raising it alittle more. but im still worried about why bubbles are coming out if they arent gasping or yawning really?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:11 am

It would be better if the basking area was in the range that was stated before. The water should be 78-80F and a little higher if a turtle is sick. Having the temperature \"a little cold\" isn`t doing them any good. Babies are sensitive to cold, and you risk them getting sick if you have the temps too cold. The bubbling could be the start of a respiratory infection, I don`t know. If more symptoms show up, you will have to act quickly fight any infection, and a herp vets assistance might be necessary.
jemyneye
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:59 am

In all honesty, when my RES [ToTo] was only an inch big, his water temp was kept above 80 degrees. Now that he\'s almost a year old, and approx. 3-4\" bigger, I keep it at 80 degrees, and he is so happy - thriving actually.
  • Information