To bask, or not to bask?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:12 pm

First off, I recently purchased one of those floaty island thing-a-ma-jiggers, to replace the other basking area that I had in there. I replaced it, because it took up too much room in the tank, and the basking area of it wasnt that big anyway. I used to have this fake tree stump thing, sitting on top of a glad ware container (the reason for the container was that I have a UGF that I have modified so its shorter than normal, and the stump still wasnt out of the water, so I just turned a glad ware upside down, poked a hole in it, allowing air to escape, so as not to float and put the stump on top.) The stump was bulky, and took up too much swimming space. So I switched it out.
Okay, second part!
Now my turtle doesnt bask, I dont know if he cant figure out that this new thing is the basking area, or cant get to it. I layed a rock arch against it so he can climb up, but I havent seen him do anything but nock it over. I tried to get him up there with a bribe of tuna, but he just jumped and ate it.
Any suggestions?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:47 pm

Whenever I\'ve made any major basking area changes, it\'s taken 2 or 3 days for my turtle to get up on it on his own. During that time, he usually first spends time looking at it from afar, then slowly gets closer until he\'s hanging off of it and sniffing it. I have, during those times, taken him and put him on the basking area (he\'ll quickly get off) to give him the idea it\'s something to get on, and I usually test to see if he can get on it easily by holding a bit of food over it so he has to get on it to grab the food.

If it\'s easy for him to get on and the basking area temp is OK, I\'d just give him some time to get used to it. Turtles don\'t like change...
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:51 pm

okay, thanks. I tried to put him on top of it, but he just scrambled right off. He doesnt really look at it, or \'sniff\' it, but I\'ll just wait a few days and see if he gets on it. If not, what should I do?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:59 pm

Could he be basking when you\'re not there?
Last edited by mariza on Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:40 pm

Its okay now! I saw him trying to get up to it, but he couldnt! So I put this fake log thingy in there and put it against the floaty island, and now he can get up. It was so funny to see him try to get up, but then it was kinda sad too. Anyways, the problem is fixed and now he can and does bask. Thanks for you help!
  • Information