tank size?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
laurae

Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:34 pm

Help I just got a turtle (red slider), the problem is I have a 75 gallon tank and the turtle is only about an inch long. Can I buy a rubbermaid container and put it in the tank with water, put rocks around it and make a ramp to the basking area? Also should I buy another turtle so that it won\'t be lonely? It\'s a really small turtle and I don\'t want to put too much water in the tank. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:58 pm

Yes you can buy a rubbermaid and put the turtle in there i would buy a small one but not to small because your turtle needs room to swim and grow. Also i would drill holes in the lid or use scissors or a knife to make holes so that way your turtle cannot get out. also i would fill the water about one or two inches high but make sure you have a basking platform so if the turtle wants to get out it will not drowned. As for your turtles eating habbits i would recommend you offer him a wide variety of foods. I feed my turtle guppies,reptomin baby pellets, shrimp treats, and romaine lettuce when he was that little. Good luck:>
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:42 pm

Good, your going to need that large tank size eventually!!, If I were you, I\'d just make sure there is a platform that this lil turtle can climb up on, and not too much water, just enough so he/she can get completely submerged but not too difficult that he/she can\'t get out of the water.
This turtle will grow pretty rapidly (the do that in captivity)....so it won\'t be long til you have alot of water in there.
I wouldn\'t waste money on a rubbermaid because you can\'t have a heater in there...but you can in the tank ....just make sure you get one that can be completely submerged.
If you don\'t want another turtle....don\'t get one, it\'s no guarentee that they will get along, just get some feeder guppies for now (they like the live bait).
good luck with your lil one
  • Information