New RES owner

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Kara
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:18 pm

Hello All Turtle Readers,

What a great site for learning about turtles!
A friend gave me a RES for a pet for my boys (ages 2, 5 & 6). I thought it would be an easy pet to care for - I was mistaken!
I have done research on RES for the last couple days and have learned alot but have also become quite confused on what exactly I need.
I currently have \'Concho\' in a 10 gallon tank, with a rock, a basking lamp and a small reptile heating pad under his tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank that I will be setting up this weekend but need to be educated on what type of heater and filtration system to get. I\'m a big Ebayer so I\'ve been trying to find things on there I can buy. I think I want to go with an Unbreakable Titanium Heater (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Mf ... 2012909287). What do you think?
I\'m having more of a problem picking out a filter system. I\'ve read that the canister type is best but they are quite pricey too.
What do you think about this filter? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Mf ... 2012438569
I also need a UV light. Can I buy these at a pet store?
I am planning on setting up my tank very similar to what the owner of this site as done. Any tips on RES care will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Kara
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:24 pm

I did purchase that Titanium Heater. It came highly recommended by another All Turtle reader! I hope to have the tank set up and operating by next week. Now I need to concentrate on a filter system. Any suggestions?
Kara
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:58 pm

After reading many threads on this site, I came across a post made by Goggles and he recommended www.BigAlsOnLine.com. I called the toll free # and spoke with Dan who was wonderful in helping me find what I needed. I purchased the Fluval 4 and various other supplies.
So, I think I am set for now with my RES tank. I will start putting everything together this week and finish as soon as my orders arrive.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:21 pm

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Information